WW2 Japanese flag bringbacks!

Leatherwringer

Leatherwringer

These 2 flags were bringbacks of a WW2 vet who the family say served in the Army.

He is said to have been in a Army construction battalion (like the Seabees) and was the first

to land and engage the enemy in a few battles.

I am going to try and find out more..but it seems like the details have been forgotten as the kids have grown older.

the flag with the markings on it is 32" x 27" and the unmarked flag is 36.5"x27"

post-13664-0-02055200-1405820843.jpg

Very nice; I really enjoy the signed Yosegaki Hinomaru flags because they are so personal. And with the plain Hinomaru "risen sun" you never know if you are getting a war-era flag because they are still used. Obviously, both of these are war era due to the source, so retain the name and other data of the veteran if you got this info. Nice find, and nice to display! The flags are shown upside-down; the tie strings should be on the right.

Mike

USCapturephotos

Nice finds especially with the vet info. Make sure you write it all down and keep with the flags.

Paul

Leatherwringer

Hi Paul...absolutely! the family has given me a picture of the vet and they think they might have a picture of him in uniform back during WW2!

manayunkman

Very nice flag.

Nothing meant but funny by posting this cover to a war time Foreign Service magazine.

I guess the CB's had a reputation.

post-51189-0-08737200-1405828208.jpg

warcollect1942

I took my meatball flag to a sushi bar about 20 years ago. It bought a tear to his eye but he took it home and gave it back with the translation.

These "yosegaki" ("good luck") flags were signed by friends and family and carried, folded up, in battle. They have the same phrase (circled in red), which roughly translates as "Eternal Fortune in Battle". I think that this should be displayed as such:

flag.jpg

I post my Japanese items with kanji on the JapanReference Forum http://www.jref.com/forum/translations-201/ and get very good, complete translations from people who speak the language. Of course, be courteous, and you must register (which has no cost). Also, it takes a few minutes to figure out how to post the photos, but not too hard. I believe the Japanese changed to a simplified kanji system after '45, so not all can read the pre-'45 archaic form. Usually get the traslations within 24 hours; give it a shot.

Mike

Leatherwringer

Thanks for the help guys! I might try the JapanReference for a transaltion!

I am still trying to get a pic of the soldier! my end idea is to frame it all....should be a great display

• 3 weeks later...

Love that cover, as well...great little....errrr...."cottage" industry going there. If nothing, we Americans are certainly an industrious and innovative lot!

We have a page on Facebook called WW2 Japanese Help Hotline, many of us can read Japanese and can have a translation for you very quickly.

A great page for discussing WWII Japanese Militaria.

Leonardo