New US Krag Bayonet

SKIPH

Hey Gang! Picked up a US Krag bayonet today, in about as near mint condition as I've ever seen. It's dated 1902 , and came with a comparable conditioned 1899 belt hooked scabbard (wide width wire). Bought it to go specifically with my great grandfather's Model 1898 Krag, with a 1902 cartouche. Thought it would be most appropriate. I already have a 1900 dated bayonet in about the same condition. Anyway, I'm very pleased with my purchase. Sorry, still no camera. SKIP

Sorry SKIP. As they say on other sites ... "if there's no picture, it didn't happen!"

Just kidding ... sounds like a great find.

BEAR

I REALLY REALLY want a p-i-c-t-u-r-e.

Krag bayonets to me are such beautiful, well made pieces

Probably my favorite pre WW2 bayonet

I don't actually own one though...

ka bar- Sorry, just don't have a camera. I'd rather spend the money on a new knife. LOL!! SKIP

Patchcollector

Congrats on the new addition to your blade family.It sounds really nice.Hope to see it sometime! :)

Skip,

Bring to the Fayetteville Gun show next weekend and I'll get some pictures for the crew.

t6

That would be lovely if you could

Krag bayonets are interesting because they are dated, I have a Morgan Silver dollar dated 1898 to go with my Krag bayonet dated 1898

so far I have Krag bayo dated 1898, 1899, 1901 , and one ground dug Krag bayonet , I also have a silver dollar to go with each bayonet with a matching year

I've gone through a half dozen Krag bayonets (along with several rifles and carbines) over the past few years. I finally settled on a M1896 rifle and an 1898 carbine, and I have a 1897 dated bayonet because that was the year my rifle was made. Had an absolutely mint 1901 dated bayonet; looked like it had never been out of the beautifully blued scabbard. Picked it up off ebay for about $100 some four years ago because the seller advertised it as an M1 bayonet. Sold it to a friend for slightly more so he could add it to his collection (he has over 30 Krag rifles and carbines). Krags are a sickness that I was able to shake off; words of warning for those that are into them.

Hey Gang! Went to the Fayetteville Gun Show today. Linked up with Thorin6. He took some really great pics of my Krag bayonet, says he'll post them when he can. Also bought a nice Utica MK2 from him. Have had a hard time finding one. His was used, but not abused, just right, with a very nice original scabbard. Saw some absolutely ridiculous prices, ie US M1942 18" machetes w/ canvas scabbards, used, $279, M4 bayonets, used but decent $200-$300, M1 Bayonets $200, used. Craziness! Did see a mint Imperial blade-dated M3 w/ mint Viner Bros M6 for $700. I liked that, but have one already, just not mint. M1903, M1, M1 Carbines, all were high priced. Lots of ammo. I got in at 0915, place was close to empty. Usually you had to wait in line wrapped around the inside, and out the door. Price is now $9 to get in. Some kind gentleman gave me a $1 off coupon. Appreciated that. SKIP

Hopefully I won't overload this thread, but here are some pictures of Skip's Krag Bayonet. Very nice with sharp markings.

post-11546-0-77793300-1406434086.jpg

Next the scabbard hanger. Very important that the swing of the hanger be limited to plus or minus 45 degrees from the verticle.

post-11546-0-22055400-1406434337.jpg

Thorin6- Thank you very much for posting these great pictures. Your camera really can pick up every detail. Very cool. Did you find anything at the show. Realized that the show was a week prior to normal, and did not fall on the military payday, or should I say Fayetteville's payday. Thanks Again! SKIP

Skip,

I've been trying to get the camera to work well in Macro; found out that I had one of the settings wrong and now that is fixed it really shines.

I only picked up a couple of things related to Military Arms; a cheek piece for a M1D sniper and TM-9-285 (w/Change 1) Shotguns, All Types, dated 21 Sept 1942, Didn't find any knives I couldn't live without, and at the last show I picked up a S&W Victory pistol with the 4-inch barrel so my budget for this show was rather small (basically limited to what I could sell, which came out to around $200).

t6

• 5 months later...