German POWs in the US?

mmerc20

Does the National Archives have files on German POWs that were kept here in the US? I am trying to locate some more information about a certain soldier but don't know how to find more about him.

Mike

Rakkasan187

Mike,

I don't know if the National Archives has records but I do believe the Bundesarchiv in Berlin, Germany may have the information you seek. They have a lot of records for the German Armed Forces. They are located at Andrew Barracks, a former SS Liebstandarte Adolf Hitler LAH barracks and later during the American Occupation of Berlin the US Barracks. It was turned back over to the German Government after Reunification and now is home to the Bundesarchiv.

I have an address for them that you may try writing to. Deutsche Dienststelle (WASt), Eichborndamm 167, D-1000 Berlin 51

I did a research paper several years ago about German POWs that were at Fort Bliss, Texas as well as the 26 German Soldiers that are buried at the Fort Bliss National Cemetery. The German Air Force contingent that was here at Ft Bliss was able to provide some great information about the German POWs who were here and died in captivity and were subsequently buried at the Fort Bliss National Cemetery.

Hope in some way this helps you in your search...

Leigh

Rakkasan187

Mike,

Good morning. I did some more research on this topic and question you asked and I found some more information that may better help.

World War II German military personnel may have service records at: Bundesarchiv - Zentralnachweisstelle, Abteigarten 6, 52076 Aachen or Deutsche Dienststelle (WASt) Eichborndamm 179, 13403 Berlin.

The location of the archives I sent to you originally has relocated to the above address in Berlin. I did some checking and the archives currently located at the former US Barracks in Berlin known as Andrews barracks hold the archives for the now defunct DDR or German Democratic Republic.

Here is a link to the information that may prove to be very helpful in your search..

http://www.genealoger.com/german/ger_military.htm

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you..

Leigh