An invaluable app...

Government Issue

Government Issue

Tuesday started off as a normal day by my standards with absolutely nothing to do. I popped in to a local surplus shop and really didn't expect to find anything when, buried away behind the counter, I spotted a transitional musette bag. Bought it no questions asked. When I got home I looked it over nothing special, the ink's faded but I had been looking for a transitional musette and at the price I got it at I'm not complaining.

post-8235-0-97098900-1405773482.jpg

I opened it up an noticed some weird ink smudges on the inside of the flap and got to thinking if there's a name or serial number that was once there. I stumbled on the forum and read about different ways to reveal markings or ink, problem was I didn't have access to anything like a backlight or so I thought...

post-8235-0-58778800-1405773430.jpg

Government Issue

Let me introduce you to the backlight app and yes it's 100% free.

post-8235-0-55536800-1405773856.jpg

I was skeptical of it because it's not a true black light as an iPhone doesn't posses the ability to do that. However, it allows you to take photos from your library and adjust the amount of red, green, and blue in the photograph as pictured here.

post-8235-0-96220800-1405773730.png

Interesting! I tried it on a helmet where pencil was used on a sweatband and it did bring out details. Thanks for posting the app, never thought to look at app store!

Screamingeagles101

I don't see it in the App Store, can you please post a pic of he app ?

Thanks.

Government Issue

Thanks for the comments guys. Glad to help fellow enthusiasts anyway I can!

Beast, that's incredible that it can actually bring out what someone wrote in pencil. Good news!

Dave, let us know if you find anything after you download it!

Screamingeagles101, don't sweat it. I'm glad to be of service.

If anybody finds any other uses for this leave pics or reply!

Government Issue

Nice find, but have you found any info on the vet yet?

Sadly, the discovery ends with the name. I did a search on WIDMAN through the NARA website and came across only one individual that had the same initials as F. E. WIDMAN, but he had a completely different serial number. If there ever was any information on the individual I can only assume the documents fell victim to the '73 NPRC fire. I guess the history behind the owner will remain a mystery. But hey, at least his name's been discovered? ;)