A Vietnam war era incountry made 9th ID Radio Research Team patch

Patchcollector

Patchcollector

OK,I will attempt to comment on the patches posted.Would like to have bigger photos of the front and back of the first three,but oh well,sometimes you just gotta work

with what you have. :)
The first with the red outlines has no comment with it.
Is he inferring that this is the "real" one?The "octofoil" is not an "octofoil" at all,more like a star shape.
You would think that at least the maker would have gotten that right,but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt,as I know mistakes can be made. ;)
Also,if this is the "real" one,you would think that the fakers would have made some with red outlines as well.
The second one looks to be the same design as the one I have.Actually,I believe that this one matches the one that is on the LJ Militaria,and Facebook page,and also the one Tonomachi posted.I think that they are all the same patch!The comment for that one is "Made for collectors"

I agree with 63 Recons' assessment;that the author meant an incountry wartime made piece known to many as a "Cheap Charlie".
Some call them "made for collectors", but the truth is that many soldiers wore the very same"Cheap Charlie" patches on their uniforms during the war.(This is also true for the WW2 era "Patch King" pieces.Many soldiers wore them too.)
The third one is interesting to me.I noticed that it also has no comment with it.I would really like to see a close up photo of the front and back before I pass judgement on that one.It may be an authentic hand embroidered piece that has not been worn,hence the unfolded outer edge.

The last two are obviously modern made copies,and the comment"Newmade RVN" reflects that fact.

So,to sum things up,I have no problem with my patch being a Cheap Charlie piece.It is authentic to the period and made incountry,just as I and many others have stated here earlier.

63 Recon, how many guys do you think were in the 1st Brigade of the 9th Division? The Recondo Brigade. And they didn't go to any MAV V school. That doesn't mean there wasn't a school and the other divisions didn't have Recondo schools or units that used the patch in one form or the other. The thing is....If I know someone who I served with in the 9th Division in Vietnam who was in the same battalion as me before me, when it was 1st Brigade...and he has such an exact patch as is being offered for $80 by a dealer that is calling it MAV recondo, but the one I actually know about is real, why isn't my guess as to where the dealer's patch is coming from not valid? He could be right. I could be right. Is the patch worth $80 to you with the dealers word?

Seems like there was a Recondo School somewhere in South America back in the 60's and 70's, wasn't there? If so... maybe the Recondo patch never was even in Vietnam. Any chance of that?

Hi Niner Alpha,

Not to hijack the post again (as we have had enough mission creep already) so this will be the last post from me on this part of the topic but I'm not really sure what we are now talking about. I wont get into the whole Recondo Brigade thing as my knowledge is lacking in that area but i will learn more soon and i wont go into the David Hackworth book and his writings on why 1st Bde was name "Recondo Brigade"

You might be referring to the Jungle Warfare School in panama which LRRPs went to in the '60s if I'm not mistaken.

But just to talk about the Recondo Patch again, Pic attached of Capt James Grimshaw who was XO of the Recondo School '66 - '67 and he is wearing a Recondo Patch in Vietnam very similar to the one on the hat you have posted.

Grimshaw James N CPT 10/01/66 03/01/67 XO

http://www.specialforcesbooks.com/RCNDO.htm

post-117117-0-47523500-1406047244.jpg

Niner Alpha

"The first with the red outlines has no comment with it.

Is he inferring that this is the "real" one?"

He said they were, ALL OF THEM, not "real" in that a real unit in Vietnam never possessed any of them in Vietnam. He is saying he doesn't have a "real" example...only that the third one down is more like he would imagine a "real" one to be if he had one....but it isn't real. .

Patchcollector

He said they were, ALL OF THEM, not "real" in that a real unit in Vietnam never possessed any of them in Vietnam. He is saying he doesn't have a "real" example...only that the third one down is more like he would imagine a "real" one to be if he had one....but it isn't real. .

The way he worded his photos seems to point in the direction that the photo of mine is a Cheap Charlie.I would like to know more about the person that you are communicating with.Do you have his email?I would like to contact him and ask him a few questions to clarify his photos.You can PM it to me.Thanks.

Niner Alpha
Here is a novel idea. Maybe, perhaps if you can be open minded enough, that in 1968 someone from the 9th went through the MACV RECONDO school and then later in 1968 set up their own recondo element for the unit? The real RECONDO school was ran by 5th group members and was to train other servicemen about the art of ambush and patrolling in the jungle. The "final exam" was they would go out and hopefully get in hot contact with the NVA. They were then graded on how they handled it and upon graduation from the course they were presented the Vietnamese made MACV Recondo pocket patch.

The final exam was every day for the 6-31st. They didn't need any school teacher. And... looks like the captain in charge of the school might have got less than a passing mark judging by the purple heart. The idea was to not get wounded or killed if you could help it.

I only say this because in spite of the pleas to return to topic this sniping continues.

Patchcollecter your pm won't work. Says you can't receive messages.

Patchcollector

Sorry about that.I deleted some messages and I think it should work now.

Patchcollector

This statement does'nt make sense to me.You state that he does'nt have a "real" example,but then he goes on to tell you that he "imagines" that a real one might resemble the third one down,even though it itself is not real.. :wacko:

Has the guy Mark that you are communicating with ever seen what he considers a "real" one".If so,where did he see it at?

I believe that my mailbox is now freed up.I would appreciate it if you would please try and send me his contact info again.

vintageproductions

The final exam was every day for the 6-31st. They didn't need any school teacher. And... looks like the captain in charge of the school might have got less than a passing mark judging by the purple heart. The idea was to not get wounded or killed if you could help it.

I only say this because in spite of the pleas to return to topic this sniping continues.

Seriously, this is your argument?

In your mind, with no proof, that the 9th division recondo didn't need the school or for anyone to take the course.

But yet, there is more then enough proof that the MACV Recondo school was in full swing and doing training throughout its existence.

You may want to do a quick Google / Yahoo search of 9th Division Recondo, and there are numerous pages devoted to the Recondo / LRRP school and numerous list of 9th division members who went through the course.

Niner Alpha

How about this from Col. David Hackworth's book Steel My Soldiers' Hearts. Note... Hackworth was a Lt. Col at the time and only commanded one battalion of the "Recondo" Brigade. He didn't command the 6-31st or whatever other battalion was in the brigade at the time. The other battalions were using the "Recondo" thing at the same time.

Page 54.

Patchcollector if you PM me.... and ask nicely.... I might help you.

post-6574-0-27056500-1406056056.jpg

vintageproductions

Here's a link to the MACV Recondo School Facebook page. I figured this is the easiest to look at and to see vintage photos showing the patch for the graduates.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.204636682901114.49916.174430522588397&type=3

I think I have finally realized what the problem is here and that is your talking the Hardcore Recondo unit that was part of the 9th division and it is a completely different unit then the MACV Recondo School. But for the 9th to wear that pocket qualification someone had to have gone through the MACV course before they could wear it. There is also a hardcore recondo scroll that 9th division members wore, but again it has nothing to do with the MACV Recondo school.

Niner Alpha

Vintageproductions.... I spelled it out for you best I can. I even gave you the evidence you were asking for. Since you obviously never were in Vietnam, let me explain it to you. A Battalion consists of Companies A, B, C, D, E, and HQ. A Brigade composes several battalions at any given time. The "Hardcore" Recondo was Hackworths adjective added to the 4/39th already given "Recondo" brigade designation. Other battalions in the 1st Brigade of the 9th had just "Recondo" as a symbol in addition to whatever their battalion Regimental motto was and Regimental crest and other traditional Regiment associated representations. Each infantry company contained roughly 100 men. If there were four battalions in the 1st Brigade at any given time that would mean that there were something like 2400 men at any given time that could have used the patch...no school required. . Each member of each 1st Brigade Battalion was entitled to wear the Recondo arrow as patch or metal badge or whatever. The Brigade Commander was the authority as it was his idea and by his design and order. If anybody went to an actual Recondo school that was fine. However, it wasn't a requirement to wearing the patch or badge within battalions of the brigade...

I don't deny that there was a Recondo school. I do , at the same time, assert that the patch was worn by a lot of 9th Division troops that never went to a Recondo school as such.. What you are offering for sale is for you to say what it is. I'm just defending my position.

TrenchfootJoe66

Wouldn't an order from a 9th Div commander, at any level, authorizing the wear of the Recondo patch, be in direct conflict with established MACV regulations regarding graduates of the MACV school and the wearing of the very same patch ?

vintageproductions

Since you want to be some condescending we can stop now.

The patch that you keep talking about is and was made for the MACV Recondo school not the 9th division or any of its units. It is a MACV Recondo graduates qualification way before it was worn by the 9th division. Like what keeps getting said over and over and over, maybe someone from the 9th went through the MACV Recondo and got to wear the patch, and then someone unauthorized decided that some members of the 9th should wear. No matter how many ways you want to split hairs here, it was originally made and used for the MACV RECONDO graduates. There is no doubt about this, and it has been proven. There is a 9th division Recondo pocket patch and it has the mini 9th patch with Recondo over it.

Now on to your arrogance about me not being in Vietnam. You know you are right I wasn't there, but I have spent my life studying these type items and I help as many collectors I can when the ask for help. Unlike you who has a uber attitude and you think you know everything. Maybe you should come out of your focused little world you live in and realize a lot more stuff happened in Vietnam, and for many years, not just your unit and your time you were there.

post-467-0-59626300-1406061040.jpg

Here is a picture of a plaque from my collection. This is for a 1LT of the 1st Brigade of the 9th Infantry Div. from his fellow officers.

The tab and the insignia below should say it all.

Sorry for the flash, I shot it a couple of minutes ago for this thread.

Hope it helps.

vintageproductions

Now this thread needs to go back to being about the radio research pocket patch.

If it keeps going away from it, it will be closed.

vintageproductions

Andrei, great plaque. I have had these emblems as beercans many times.

But we can all see the difference between its logo and the MACV recondo emblem. They are close but not 100% exact.

Niner Alpha
Now on to your arrogance about me not being in Vietnam. You know you are right I wasn't there, but I have spent my life studying these type items and I help as many collectors I can when the ask for help. Unlike you who has a uber attitude and you think you know everything. Maybe you should come out of your focused little world you live in and realize a lot more stuff happened in Vietnam, and for many years, not just your unit and your time you were there.

Nothing like a nice " friendly" well fought discussion is there?

Patchcollector

Patchcollector if you PM me.... and ask nicely.... I might help you.

A haha,what a joke :lol:

Check the last line of my post # 83, I already asked you.

What do you want,for me to beg you?

It's not going to happen :P

I'll find the contact info for him myself.

Patchcollector

Now this thread needs to go back to being about the radio research pocket patch.

If it keeps going away from it, it will be closed.

It seems that this thread only goes off topic when some here want it too...

william kennington

this came out of the old reliable vol.2 no. 45 nov13,1968.

2-39 boasts new pin

RACH KIEN-elements of the 9th Division's 2nd Battalion. 39th infantry are wearing a new Recondo pin designed especially for the battalion by their commander.

The pin is a arrowhead painted black with the letters of "FIRST" printed black on a red field.

We are experts at night ambushes and we come from the skies to fight the viet cong: said lieutenant colonel Donald Schroeder,39. of Las Vegas, nev.

This is why the arrowhead points to the ground and is black.

A similar pin was presented to the 2d/39 last April by General Westmoreland marking the battalion as the "FIRST RECONDO BATTALION".

Robert Webster of Los Angeles, Who owns a plastic corporation, worked with Schroeder in the production of the pin and donated 1,500 pins to the battalion.

Ltc. Donald Schroeder was at fire support base dirk jul. 1968 - feb. 1969, he was KIA, the fire support base was later named after him.

Ltc. David Hachworth was 4/39 At fire support base danger Feb.1969-May 1969.

There was no school for this badge and was given to all the men.

Patchcollector

I just received this message from a member of the Facebook group that I posted earlier.

Here is what he wrote:

We have posted photos of this patch before, and assume it was worn by members of the 335th RRC (DSU for the 9th ID)

who accompanied the 9th ID LRRP teams in the field. -GBB

I'm also sending out messages to as many ASA sources that I can find.If I get any more replies,I'll post them here.

Are we able to move the Recondo Brigade/MACV Recondo school topic to another thread as i think there is still some life in it?

Captain Grimshaw was awarded A Bronze Star in early '66 before he was XO of the Recondo school in Oct '66 so perhaps he was awarded the purple heart at the same time but id have to check.

Vintageproductions, I didn't answer your Cheap Charlie story because I find fault with it and it was not germane to the main argument defining the difference between real and fake. I don't give a darn about your Cheap Charlie one way or the other other than I am not buying more than a marginal bit of your story.. The patch on the left that I posted as an example was made in 1970 for Bravo Company 6th of the 31st. I know this because a member of that company posted it on my site. That other patch was just taken off of ebay, picked at random by myself as an example, back a year or so ago to show guys at my other site from Bravo that if they wanted a royal non such that was kinda sorta right they could get it off of ebay for a few dollars. If Cheap Charlie was making them back in 69...from before the original design... or shortly after...why didn't he make the ones for the company and short change the retail market that didn't exist then, or more truely do so to represent what he was selling as being "authentic"? I think your Cheap Charlie story covers a multitude of sins in place of some objective research.

As to my expertise... I don't have any patch knowledge except in a very narrow way related to my own experience. One thing I do know by looking at your retail site... and I sent you a pm saying this hours ago... was that of the few patches in the multitude you offer that I know something about I take issue with a couple of them as you advertise them. One you have listed...or had before I told you in the pm... as a MAC V Recondo patch. I strongly believe , if it is real, it is a Recondo Brigade patch. The Recondo Brigade was the first Brigade of the 9th Division. My battalion was in the Recondo brigade until mid 69 when it went to the only remaining Third brigade when the rest of the 9th pulled out of Vietnam. A friend still has his recondo patch attached to his jungle hat. If you were to offer it for what it is anybody who is a fan of that reprobate David Hackworth and his Steel My Soldiers Hearts would probably pay more for it than a MAC V patch.

I'll attach the same photo I sent you in the PM

Hi Niner Alpha,

Whats your friends name that owns this hat? Maybe I can find his name in the Recondo School book by Tom Halliwell

cheers

Ryan

this came out of the old reliable vol.2 no. 45 nov13,1968.

2-39 boasts new pin

RACH KIEN-elements of the 9th Division's 2nd Battalion. 39th infantry are wearing a new Recondo pin designed especially for the battalion by their commander.

The pin is a arrowhead painted black with the letters of "FIRST" printed black on a red field.

We are experts at night ambushes and we come from the skies to fight the viet cong: said lieutenant colonel Donald Schroeder,39. of Las Vegas, nev.

This is why the arrowhead points to the ground and is black.

A similar pin was presented to the 2d/39 last April by General Westmoreland marking the battalion as the "FIRST RECONDO BATTALION".

Robert Webster of Los Angeles, Who owns a plastic corporation, worked with Schroeder in the production of the pin and donated 1,500 pins to the battalion.

Ltc. Donald Schroeder was at fire support base dirk jul. 1968 - feb. 1969, he was KIA, the fire support base was later named after him.

Ltc. David Hachworth was 4/39 At fire support base danger Feb.1969-May 1969.

There was no school for this badge and was given to all the men.

and here is an excellent thread with some pics of that, thanks to noexpert, maybe if he is still on teh forum hed be so kind as to scan a larger image of these pins.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/108817-found-collection-of-vn-combat-art-negatives-contact-sheets/page-14

cheers

Ryan