USS Abraham Lincoln Ship's Wheel

hink441

I can't believe I found this at a local antique shop. It is the ship's wheel from the USS Abraham Lincoln CVN-72. It is mounted on a wood plaque and has a brass name plate. Looks like it was an end of tour gift from the crew to the ship's first Executive Officer.

post-10825-0-32932500-1405735568.jpg

The ship is still active, but that wheel has seen some use. Perhaps they pull them off and replace them from time to time, giving them to departing Captains? Neat find.

The ship is still active, but that wheel has seen some use. Perhaps they pull them off and replace them from time to time, giving them to departing Captains? Neat find.

I think this wheel was probably the original wheel for the ship. The wheel was probably removed in order to re-install a more traditional looking wheel, and when it was removed, it was probably saved for the departing XO. Here is a picture of a more traditional wheel being used. I do not know what ship this picture was taken on, but it is a funny picture.

Chris

post-10825-0-83177900-1405773517.jpg

That is VERY cool. Wheels do get removed from time to time for may different reasons. This guy could have really liked driving the ship and thus the wheel...

Thanks fellas, I felt pretty lucky to find this one.

I have tried to research the career of this XO. I know he left the Lincoln and then went to be the CO of the USS Shreveport LPD-12. This was his deep draft Skipper tour. I can not find anything on him after the Shreveport tour. I wonder why he did not get a CV Skipper tour???

Chris

I wonder why he did not get a CV Skipper tour???

You know as well as I....he might have pissed someone off, ran aground, hit something, or just plain old retired from the Navy (he was USNA '68, so he was about 25 years in when he left command of Shreveport...) Or, there's something we just don't know yet. I need to check my USNA register (at work) to see when he retired.

If anyone has access to e-yearbook, they have a nice shot of him from the Lincoln cruise book...

wefdvczsdcwefr.jpg

Looks like he went on to command PHIBRON SIX. I didn't know aviator commanded PHIBRONs, but I'm not surprised.

Ironically, in this article (below) I interviewed Admiral (later four star) Abbot for my masters thesis, and Lieutenant General Natonski is a friend of mine and fellow collector. Small world...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Headline: Sixth Fleet Commander Visit USS Saipan
USS SAIPAN (LHA 2) - (NENS) - VADM Steve Abbot, Commander
U.S. Sixth Fleet, recently visited USS Saipan. The admiral flew
to the ship aboard a USMC CH-53 Sea Stallion helicopter.
Abbot was welcomed on board by CAPT John P. Jeffcoat,
Saipan's commanding officer; CAPT Robert L. Peterson, Amphibious
Squadron Six's commanding officer; and COL Richard Natonski, the
24th Marine Expeditionary Unit's commander.
While on board the admiral took part in an awards ceremony,
where he shared his thoughts on many issues that impact Naval
operations in the Mediterranean area. He also took questions from
the crew, who were assembled in the hangar bay.
Saipan is currently participating in Exercise Rescue Eagle,
a bilateral venture between the U.S. and Albania.

Dave,

You are correct, a PHIBRON CO tour is unusual for an aviator. I believe there is definitely more to the story. Could be pretty interesting finding out what happened, and why his career abruptly ended just before the pinnacle of his career.

I had a Squadron Skipper who was eventually the CO of a CVN during a lengthy yard period. Never took her to sea, and his career stalled, had to retire at the end of his CO tour.

Chris

I like how it is labeled "Left Rudder", "Right Rudder".

And no, I am not making fun of it. In a crisis situation such clear labels can avoid costly mistakes.

Reminds me of the movie Apollo 13 where they to labeled a switch "Do Not Touch" to prevent accidentally separating the parts of the ailing spacecraft.

• 1 year later...

Bringing this older thread up again.

I stumbled upon this picture of the USS Abraham Lincoln helm taken in 1995. I feel pretty certain that the wheel I have (post #1) is probably the original wheel and was probably removed in order to install this more traditional looking wheel.

Chris

post-10825-0-50530200-1466761819.jpeg

The picture in post #6 was taken aboard the USS Ronald Reagan CVN-76.

• 4 weeks later...

Hink this is my first time to see this thread. It is very neat. Very interesting. Do you still have the wheel?

Ronnie

Hink this is my first time to see this thread. It is very neat. Very interesting. Do you still have the wheel?

Ronnie

Thank you Ronnie.

I still own the wheel. I think I will keep it for awhile longer. It is one of my favorites!!

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Can't be many of those around. Beats me what it'd be worth but I bet it'd worth something like the value of a grip/stick for a well-known aircraft, or more?

That is seriously cool. As to what happened to his career...obviously he got in trouble for swiping the ship's wheel off the USS Abraham Lincoln!

Mikie

Dave,

You are correct, a PHIBRON CO tour is unusual for an aviator. I believe there is definitely more to the story. Could be pretty interesting finding out what happened, and why his career abruptly ended just before the pinnacle of his career.

I had a Squadron Skipper who was eventually the CO of a CVN during a lengthy yard period. Never took her to sea, and his career stalled, had to retire at the end of his CO tour.

Chris

Really? I served in aboard 3 amphibious from 1980 until 1999, including a TAD to PHIBRON 10. Every CO I had except one was an aviator ( the non aviator was a four stripe Deisel Submariner who wouldn't retire). All the PHIBRON commanders I k ew were aviators. All large amphibious are really just air craft carriers. They are deep draft. Most go to Gators before getting a carrier so they can learn how to drive big ships and deal with non aviation communities. I could be wrong, but that was my experience. All my XOS were long time Gator guys though to help the flyer out.

Really? I served in aboard 3 amphibious from 1980 until 1999, including a TAD to PHIBRON 10. Every CO I had except one was an aviator ( the non aviator was a four stripe Deisel Submariner who wouldn't retire). All the PHIBRON commanders I k ew were aviators. All large amphibious are really just air craft carriers. They are deep draft. Most go to Gators before getting a carrier so they can learn how to drive big ships and deal with non aviation communities. I could be wrong, but that was my experience. All my XOS were long time Gator guys though to help the flyer out.

I don't think you are wrong. I agree that there are many aviators driving Amphibs around. I think this Skipper had a strange career path because he had the Nuclear training before the CVN XO tour, then he did his deep draft Skipper tour. The next logical and traditional billet was the CVN Skipper tour. This did not happen, he went to the PHIBRON instead. Something unusual happened during his deep-draft Skipper tour.

Chris

I don't think you are wrong. I agree that there are many aviators driving Amphibs around. I think this Skipper had a strange career path because he had the Nuclear training before the CVN XO tour, then he did his deep draft Skipper tour. The next logical and traditional billet was the CVN Skipper tour. This did not happen, he went to the PHIBRON instead. Something unusual happened during his deep-draft Skipper tour.

Chris

Could have been there were no CVNs available,

• 3 months later...