Did this Doolittle Raider Not Pay His Storage Locker Fees?

KASTAUFFER

The seller said it was purchased at a storage unit auction , but only they know for sure.

Kurt

Okay.. I did scan the original listing, but I must have missed that. Thanks for the correction.

Here is some information that was passed on to me. Steven Potter is Henry Potter's son. A storage unit belonging to Steven was auctioned in Austin on July 11, 2014 because there was a lien on it.

This is all I know.

potter1.JPG

http://www.etypeservices.com/SWF/LocalUser/Williamson1//Magazine56591/Full/files/assets/basic-html/page15.html

This being the case, I guess we can assume it was not stolen ETC. If indeed these items came from the unit, the family would not have a case in claiming the property.

Kurt

manayunkman

Thats incredible Kurt.

The jackets must have been in a box.

Can you imagine finding that in a storage unit ?

And can you imagine being the seller when the other members of the family find out? Yeah, they might not have a legal recourse, but they could sure pester the living tar out of you if they felt like it!

This is one group I think I would have consigned to a high end auction house and have them protect my identity (at least for the most part...)

Thats incredible Kurt.

The jackets must have been in a box.

I think if i found that in storage I might poop a little right on the spot.

I sure wish there were items like that in my delinquent unit auctions!!! I could tell some stories about some treasures found in units we have sold off in the past. (Non Militaria) Pretty crazy what some people will leave!!

A couple groups from my collection were originally picked up from storage unit sales out on the west coast. Not by me personally, but bought from the persons that did. Many just don't realize the value of some of these items.

JD

Dear all, I live here in Austin and it is my neighbor who bought the locker. I found this forum when I was trying to help him research Lt. Col. Potter. He bought the locker fair and square. Looks like a son quit paying the fees. The e-bay lot has been sold to a private collector in Cali for 45K. I had the pleasure of going through one of the foot lockers and look at some of the stuff. There is a lot of stuff. But, his uniform, sidearm, and Medals were not found. I saw some photos of Potter making a trip to Cape Canaveral for a Space Shuttle launch. Lots of clipping and letters and pictures, prints, books and lot of signed memorabilia. These are are his personal belongings. Chairs and home stuff too. I was just happy to see it first hand.

BD

Unreal!!! Beautiful group, and we'll worth what the original price was IMO, wounded who in Cali bought it, I know a couple people out the with pretty deep pockets.

Fritz

Fantastic grouping, I hope we will all see it again someday! I'll bet it sold off-ebay or is going to an auction house.

I know the guy that has Jimmy Doolittle's scarf that he wore on the raid and he has a COA signed by J.D. authenticating it.

I think I might refrain from making unsubstantiated public speculation of the commission of a crime.

Wasn't speculating or making a claim. Just making a joke. The "j/k" was implied.

I would think they could have gotten more.

But a fantastic group, I am sure the buyer is happy. I would be.

I would think they could have gotten more.

But a fantastic group, I am sure the buyer is happy. I would be.

If this was sold for what was owed on storage, the seller likely had a very low cost basis, so $45,000 was a big ol' payday.

Oh I'm not saying that $45,000 is somthing to sneeze at, especially for a storage wars kind of deal, (that would have made a killer episode...)

But ebay would not be the place I would attempt to sell a grouping like that. I would hit up a famous world wide auction house and try and sell it on the anniversary of raid to maximise the audience/publicity.

This was a very historic grouping.

But I am just glad it did not end up in a landfil somewhere.

I think a lot would buy this group it is amazing but I have to agree way too steep especially without his medals it isnt a complete set to warrent the huge price tag. History worthy yes but as with any historical item itll be worth it in the future when less and less groups of these are availabl I think it coul sell at 20 to 30k for the entire set and still remain a fair price.

Just not sure, maybe the medals have already been parted out or will be parted out of the set.

firefighter

Ok.Lets see private collector in California with deep pockets. HMMMMM! I wonder if Bob will show us more of what is in the group. LOL!

My pockets aren't that deep......

Maybe they meant me! Oh, wait, my pockets are all sewn shut.

Though no small sum, I still think the grouping is fairly priced and ever low by some standards. Here are my thoughts, the significance of the Doolittle Raid following Pearl Harbor, the small number of participants overall, the fact that Potter was in plane 1 and lead Navigator under Doolittle. The other documents and photographs showing the jacket as being "there".

As history man pointed out, the Sale price of. D-Day flag selling for hundreds of thousands, and how many flags were on ships and landing craft that day? Don't know how many survived, but still. Also consider the going price for an AVG badge these days is what $7 to. $10k? A small number of men, but a group that stands out like the Doolittle Raiders. What would Tex Hills, Ed Rectors or Claire Chenaults A2 jacket be worth? My guess is to the right person with a sense of history, priceless.

I can't afford the grouping, but if I did have the means, would certainly consider it simply because of the historic significance. I think there is a fair amount of American Militaria with great historic significance sold at much lower prices compared to what Europeans pay for some of their items that I would consider on an even footing.

for example, I am always surprised at what a Victoria Cross sells for in auction, compared with what Medals of Honor sold for in the past. I would welcome Vintage Productions or Bob's thoughts since you are both in the business and know the markets and why there seems to be this gap between what we as Americans are willing to pay for American historic Militaria compared to others overseas?

Ok.Lets see private collector in California with deep pockets. HMMMMM! I wonder if Bob will show us more of what is in the group. LOL!

I know there are plenty of rumors about me buying the group, but unfortunately the leprechaun at the end of the rainbow wouldn't give me the pot of gold so I had to pass...

:D

Just to echo what Argonauts2 said, for a lot of militaria collectors, this is not extraordinarily priced. Coming from the Soviet collecting world, medal groups to people you've never heard of for actions you can't even find in a book might run you upwards of $40-$50K or more. When I was photographing the Soviet medal belonging to one of the US Navy veterans for my book, it was in a museum. I asked the curator if he knew how much it was worth. He said: "I dunno, maybe $5000?" I laughed and told him the last time I heard of one selling it sold for over $105,000...so I told him: "just imagine you're holding a nice Ferrari in your hands..." :) (I will note prices have dropped considerably from the heyday...the same medal is for sale right now at http://collectrussia.com/DISPITEM.HTM?ITEM=28979 for a bargain $58,000...)

There are plenty of deep-pocketed collectors out there who I'm certain thought about buying the group, and one jumped on it. Chances are, we'll probably never see it again, but at least it's well preserved and hopefully well taken care of for the next generation of collectors.

Dave

I have been involved in buying and selling several Doolittle Raider groups...the buyer got a good value on this historic group.