Opinions on this OSS grouping

Grant Bias

Guys,

What is your opinions on this OSS grouping currently on Ebay. The seller claims that the SF wings are British or German made. Is this correct? I see that the veteran didn't retire until like 1954, so are these wings late war? Occupational Germany era?, or are they like 1950's era? Just curious to know. Thanks, Grant

post-4979-0-46970100-1405685429.jpg

I don't have a clue, but they don't match what I'm familiar with...but I've only seen a handful of originals and don't know enough about them to make any informed comments. Some of the other guys like Bill Scott, Robert Wilson, and others would be able to help you out more, I'm sure.

But, the overall group is pretty impressive...it would give one pause to think that the wings might be legit rather than an entire assembled group like this...

WEST_GROUP.jpg

Garth Thompson

I would say some of the viewers are planning to bid on several of the items and don't want to draw a lot of attention to the auctions.

I'll say the Troops in Norway bullion patches are the nicest examples I have ever seen.

Garth

The seller obviously knows what they have...they did give lots of photos of the tan uniform with the wing on it...

WEST2.jpg

I would agree with Garth, the troops in Norway patch is as impressive as the SOE wing to me. These items will go cumulatively for big money IMO.

My 2 cents, the British Norway patches are incredible.

I think the Jedburgh wings are post war (The wings photo above is from 1961). Never seen anything like them plus he is not listed on the OSS roster. So the wings may be honorary or just added? His bio does not mention the OSS or the Jedburghs. Since the officer would have authorized the bio, he would have insisted on promoting the OSS link.

On the other hand, if someone has proof of his OSS history, that would change everything.

Overall though, a super grouping! It should probably be priced as a US/British intelligence grouping as opposed to an OSS grouping. Based on the photos, he was in the middle of the action in Norway. Love the Norwegian flags.

One of the nicest groupings listed all year for sure.

Patchcollector

Dang.That is one outstanding group!Should be plenty of bidders now that it has been posted here.I'll have to follow this one and see what it brings when the smoke clears :lol:

A group like that is going to get some major traffic, whether or not it's posted on here. Shame to see it split up at the estate sale (and then piece by piece online), but maybe someone can pony up and keep a chunk of it together. It'd be interesting to see if and when the rest of it turns up -- medals, helmets, photo albums, etc.

I couldn't comment on the legitimacy of the wings, but as others have said, that bullion is spectacular.

If I had come across the Jedburgh wing by itself I would have thought copy as it is not one of the known period examples. I believe ajbUSWM is correct in his assumption that this wing was probably manufactured post war and added to the uniform since it only appears in the post war photo and none of the earlier WW2 era photos when he was a 1st Lieutenant.

The absence of US jump wings on his uniforms makes me think as stated above he was likely not a Jed.

Attached to SOE in England during his service might explain the wings. Either way it is still a great grouping.

Collectorww2

When I first saw this grouping, my jaw dropped. It was like a wet dream for me.

I bid on most of the grouping, hoping to at the very least, get a uniform and both flags, but after a gigantic bidding war, I only ended up with his visor cap, officer's field manual, officer's guide, 2x lots of photos, a letter/booklet, Norwegian-English phrase book, and a carved aluminium box. I was rather saddened by the fact that the grouping was split up(But very understandable considering the amount made), that nobody wanted to get the small stuff(Which worked out nice for me :P), and little interest to keep the grouping together, but

If any forum members got any of the items, send me a PM, that might make it a bit easier to keep the grouping "together".

EDIT:

That group only went for $2700 or so. Times are most definitely changing in our hobby.

-Ski

That's just for one uniform.... The entire grouping probably went for somewhere between 8,000-16,000$

Going through the closed auctions, the stuff in the photo (though not the flags) brought in just over $9900 for the seller. Not a bad day for an estate sale!

Garth Thompson

That group only went for $2700 or so. Times are most definitely changing in our hobby.

-Ski

Actually the total for the whole group was closer to $10,000. The two tunics and his hat went for $6,000.

I missed the two flags because they weren't in the militaria category. That brings the total up to $10,953.01.

And there's still several lots up for auction.

Just makes you wonder where the rest of his stuff will pop up!

Collectorww2

Damn, mine was just a wild estimate, that is not bad at all, would be interesting to find out what the seller paid originally. I'm just happy I got my small piece of the cake.

unclegrumpy

My 2 cents, the British Norway patches are incredible.

I think the Jedburgh wings are post war (The wings photo above is from 1961). Never seen anything like them plus he is not listed on the OSS roster. So the wings may be honorary or just added? His bio does not mention the OSS or the Jedburghs. Since the officer would have authorized the bio, he would have insisted on promoting the OSS link.

On the other hand, if someone has proof of his OSS history, that would change everything.

Overall though, a super grouping! It should probably be priced as a US/British intelligence grouping as opposed to an OSS grouping. Based on the photos, he was in the middle of the action in Norway. Love the Norwegian flags.

One of the nicest groupings listed all year for sure.

I agree with the above that this is a great group, but also agree it would be very interesting to hear if anybody has "the rest of the story" regarding what this fellow actually did.

In looking at the photos that were sold, some were clearly misidentified as being him. This fellow was relatively old and round, and did not look like the type of guy who one would have expected to be parachuting out of airplanes behind enemy lines. He looked more like a liaison or Staff Officer, and is also not listed as being a part of the NORSO Group.

Both wings are beautiful wartime examples, but it would be interesting to know if he actually rated one.