State Guard

WorldWarPatches

lamarhooten

Not a State Guard but possibly a Shore Guard rate or id of some type. Tried to id one just like this one but with a white background and two hash marks below the rifles. Posted it here on the Forum and never really got a sure id. Mine was white twill based. Would like a better id on it! Was it Navy -- Coast Guard -- or a local Guard organization , like Maui Guards, that wore this and when. Will be watching this thread for the out come!

lamarhooten

Just a follow up, some have this listed as 'Seaman Guard' and might have been used and Naval Training schools ect.

firefighter

I think Seamen Guards were on merchant ships durn WW2.they would man the guns if under attack.I think they were in the Atlantic when the U-boat attacks increased?

As others have stated, NOT a state guard.

Worn by US Navy "Seaman Guards" during WWII at shore installations (Training Stations, Navy Yards, etc) that were not big enought to rate a Marine Detachment. They were discussed about 12 years ago by John Stacey in an ASMIC Trading Post article. I believe they are also mentioned in his book on US Navy ranks/rates.

I believe what firefighter is thinking of is USN Armed Guard, which is something completely different and unrelated.

-Vance

Garth Thompson

Worn by US Navy "Seaman Guards" during WWII at shore installations (Training Stations, Navy Yards, etc) that were not big enought to rate a Marine Detachment. They were discussed about 12 years ago by John Stacey in an ASMIC Trading Post article. I believe they are also mentioned in his book on US Navy ranks/rates.

I believe what firefighter is thinking of is USN Armed Guard, which is something completely different and unrelated.

-Vance

Vance is completely correct. This rate has nothing to do with USN Armed Guards, there is a distinguishing mark AG for them.

Garth

firefighter

-Vance

Vance, Thank you for the correction.