Sometimes it's ok to buy the story ...

TLHSS

This was a small grouping that remained unsold on Ebay for a couple of cycles. I found it interesting due to it's association with Hawaii and Pearl Harbor:

post-2144-0-10074700-1405643344.jpg

The price wasn't great, so I thought I would contact the seller and ask if she had any history associated with the item. A very nice person, who wrote me a very nice and touching letter:

post-2144-0-41099100-1405643752.jpg

I also asked if Lois's daughter had a photo. She looked for a couple of weeks, and found the following, neatly tucked away in the family bible:

post-2144-0-20321400-1405643966.jpg

In the end, Lois's daughter sent me a note saying: "I did not realize how writing the info note would bring back so many memories. But it is written and on it's way to you. Thank you for your patience and especially for finding this 73 year old memory a good home".

For me, a grouping like this brings home the impact the war had on everyday folks at home. And how the pain of loss of a loved one during war never really goes away. Hope you enjoy this small grouping as well. I'm happy to be the caretaker.

Have a good evening ... Tim

Wow.. that really is a reminder of a great loss, both personally for her and us as a nation.

That's cool that she could pass this information on instead of just selling or giving away the items without the story.

-Brian

Not to be a Kiljoy, but the Sailor in the photo us wearing a British Naval uniform, not USN. Since she worked the USO in Buffalo NY, this is most likely a random pic of a Canadian Sailor. Sorry, just say'in'

Steve

Wonderful story. Worth whatever you paid for it. You are preserving true history. R.I. P. Seaman Albanese. Bobgee

This is great example of why it is so important to get the history of the items when you can. We are the current caretakers of these treasures, but in 50 or 100 years who much of the stories that we heard like this will be gone as well? Take some time and document the things you have. Put the information in a pocket of the uniform, tie a string tag on that flag that you know where it flew, save teh history as well as the items. They all have stories to tell!

River Patrol

A nice piece of history .....to be shared again in the future......document and keep it together.

Not to be a Kiljoy, but the Sailor in the photo us wearing a British Naval uniform, not USN. Since she worked the USO in Buffalo NY, this is most likely a random pic of a Canadian Sailor. Sorry, just say'in'

Steve

Steve ...

Never a problem stating the facts ... I always appreciate it. I always learn when I post. The photo was a long shot, since none of the photos she kept were named. Her daughter took the one she found in the family bible, also playing a hunch. Unfortunately, there wasn't a photo of Sal in his government file. But I'm still on the hunt. Regardless, I'm still good with the items and keeping the memories intact.

Thanks ... Tim

CombatEng44

Wonderful! It's amazing what you can find out from the buyer if one simply asks. I bought a couple of bracelets from a woman who listed them as " WWII named bracelets". After I won them I asked her the story and she said that her father served in Hawaii and these were made from a Japanese plane shot down Dec 7th. I got these for practically nothing on Ebay just because she did not think the story was important.

Glad you asked and now you can pass it along.

There are three people in Ancestry.com that have him in their family tree. I don't know if you have an account, but it might be worthwhile contacting them.

Mike