Malmedy Massacre Memorial

Longhorn92

This memorial is located at the Baugnez Crossroads, at the N62 and N632, or where the Route de Waimes and Route de Luxembourg meet (If I have that wrong, please correct me; there was no physical address that I could find).

It is within easy walking distance from the Baugnez 44 Historical Center located at Route de Luxembourg 10 in Malmedy. The museum is a definite must see if you're in the area.

The memorial is a simple but excellent tribute to the men who were massacred there. It has a semi-circular walkway that meets at a little chapel type area in the center of the memorial. The names of the men are on the walkway walls.

It is well maintained and worth a visit.

Here are a few pics, starting with the crossroads and the memorial off to the right:

post-15696-0-22857500-1405613797.jpg

Rakkasan187

Went there 2 years ago. The actual field where the massacre occured was across the street, going back towards the Baugnez museum you mentioned...If I remember correctly, the house that is on the corner if you are looking towards the massacre site from the memorial was there in 1944.

Leigh

Rakkasan187

Here are a few pictures of the Malmedy Massacre site taken from the memorial site above looking back across the street. The house that is pictured across the street is reportedly the same house that was there in December 1944 and the field where the massacre took place is to the viewers left, behind the car that is in the picture near the trees.

The second picture of this house near the crossroads intersection was reportedly a café during World War Two but was very heavily damaged by shell fire and it was torn down and this house was rebuilt on the same spot after the War.

Leigh

post-5554-0-85706600-1405777510.jpg

post-5554-0-91486300-1405777580.jpg

post-5554-0-73737700-1405777788.jpg

respectingthesacrifice

I would like to add a view of the same place taken in Winter time looking to the Museum Baugnez 44. A really nice one, fa lot of things to see there.

post-152914-0-17840900-1405838867.jpg

What a beautiful monument.

That episode in WW2 makes me so upset, that was NOT war.

Those poor beautiful lads...

Bless you all for your sacrifice so my children and I can have the life we now have.

I will never forget you.

Café Bodarwé.

If I'm not mistaken, it was set afire by the Germans to chase out GIs who were hiding there.

The owner of the café was never found.

Erwin

Rakkasan187

Café Bodarwé.

If I'm not mistaken, it was set afire by the Germans to chase out GIs who were hiding there.

The owner of the café was never found.

Erwin

Thanks for the information Erwin,

I was looking through some articles and there is a sketch map that shows the location of the men who were massacred and the location of 2 of the Panzer tanks. At least one of the Soldiers was shot and killed in front of the farmhouse in the courtyard.

Leigh

respectingthesacrifice

Another map (taken from Heimdal's book "Massacre à Malmedy Ardennes 17 Décembre 1944") which will complement Leigh's one. By the way Leigh where did you get yours? Incredible details!

post-152914-0-23107800-1405867265.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

A lot has already been written about this sad episode. I've been there mny times. Thanks for sharing those very interesting maps.

Guy