New look Imperial War Museum.

Sabrejet

Britain's premier war museum has recently re-opened after a multi-million pound re-furb. This is a heads-up for any members who might be headed to the UK on vacation in the near future as I know this is always high on the "must see" list.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2694371/Remembering-fallen-Imperial-War-Museum-opens-40million-restoration-new-galleries-mark-anniversary-First-World-War.html

post-8022-0-56788400-1405576236.jpg

BelligerentBlue

Wow, now that's a nice looking museum. I was actually watching the Tour de France on tv and they were passing by some War monuments and cemetery. The effort put in to the memory and history both in the UK (thanks in part to this museum) and the short hop to France is something I'd love to see.

Interesting .... I just hope they did not leave out the Belgian soldier in their WWI exhibit.

I only see British and French uniforms.

Erwin

Interesting .... I just hope they did not leave out the Belgian soldier in their WWI exhibit.

I only see British and French uniforms.

Erwin

I've yet to visit the museum since its refurbishment Erwin, but I'm sure all of the combatant nations would be represented in some form or another! ( BTW...the one on the left is a Doughboy uniform!)

Awesome looking museum :D I must visit it some day, its not so far from Poland

Come and join all your buddies over here! ;)

Johan Willaert

Glad to see they refurbished the displays to modern standards... I had visited the museum back in 1991 and 1995 and was surprised to see that by 2012 they still hadn't changed much, except for the excellent Holocaust display and VC/GC section...

Looks like I need to go back now...

Johan

Thanks for posting this Ian! I've been there about a dozen times and as Johan said, I really hadn't seen much change in the last 10 years with the exception of the specialty displays and some visiting displays. That said, I always found something in the displays that I had missed in previous visits. It is no doubt one of the best military museums in the world, however our Canadian War Museum in Ottawa is pretty darn nice too! :)

http://www.warmuseum.ca/home/

Rick

Yeah, it's pretty futuristic looking, almost looks like it's ready for take-off! ;) It has an amazing feature in one of the galleries, the Memorial Hall contains a single lone artifact: the headstone of the Unknown Soldier from the First World War which is directly illuminated by the sun each Remembrance Day, November 11, at 11 a.m.

Still, it's not "Bedlam" like the IWM in London! :)

Rick

Always a favorite on my past trips to London. Great that the museum has been 'refurbished'. Hope I get to see it. Thanks for the link. Bob