Unknown camoflauge field jacket

Siamundo

Here is an odd duck of a field jacket that I was hoping someone might recognize and be able to help identify. The jacket is a nice sturdy weight and the chest pockets are slanted similar to a jungle jacket. The front features both buttons and a zipper. The very top of each sleeve is slightly reinforced and there is a strange large pocket inside the back. At first I thought it might be a game pocket as would be found on a hunting jacket but there is no way to access the pocket from the outside. The jacket is marked inside with a nice quilted label from DIAWARD. Diaward is a Hong Kong company which in the past madem ilitary accoutrements and owns the British company Firmin. The Size 2 label is a bit misleading as the jacket is a very large size-at least a Large or 42 chest. Any ideas as to when this made and who would have worn it? Thanks for your help!

post-2744-1213491242.jpg

post-2744-1213491262.jpg

IF military, I don't think that this is U.S. related. It looks like a hunting jacket to me.

I was thinking civillian hunting jacket as well.

Arch

Thank you both for your input. Because of the size label, I agree that this is not US. I had not ruled out the possibility of a hunting jacket coat altogether, but because of the military style design and epaulets I was still iffy. If it is a hunting coat though, it seems impractical for the game pocket to be on the inside. It means the wearer would have to remove the coat entirely to place something in the pocket. Additionally the pocket is not lined in any way so if something were wet it would soak right through. Maybe it could be for storing something large and flat like a map? I failed to include this before, but the coat also has two draw string closures inside, much like an army field jacket. One in the middle at the waist, and one at the very bottom edge.

bravo_2_zero

That is a British Smock from the late 50's 60's in duck hunter. British clothing right up to the early 80's were marked in sizes 'Size 2' etc...

I can't find any reference photo other than one worn it a British comedy show 'Last of the summer wine' The middle character wearing one.

**Note left breast pocket bellow flap**

1301losw.jpg

British hunting jacket. I have seen the same cut and duck hunter pattern on a jacket made and marked for an English company.

Thanks again for the information and thank you Bravo_2_Zero for the photo. The jacket appears to be identical including the small expandable left chest pocket. Oh well, it was worth taking a chance on for $3.00 and it's even in my size in case I decide to take up hunting :)

Last of the Summer Wine is a GREAT show!!! I watch it every Sunday evening on our PBS station. Hilarious!

Arch

p.s. By the way, $3 is a good price for this jacket. I would have bought it for that just to wear around.

General Apathy

Hi, Note the address on the retailer of this jacket, ' Firmin House ', Firmin Badges were a WWII manufacturer of U.S. insignia and brass buttons, and in the early seventies still had unsold stocks of U.S. insignia in their storerooms.

I said 'retailer' as I don't believe these were actually manufactured by the 'Diaward ' company, they were bought in from cheaper overseas manufacturers.

Cheers ( Lewis )

Hi Guys

The cut of this jacket is pretty close to a 60s British Army 1st pattern DPM smock.

The collar on the DPM usually has stitching for reenforcement in several rows .

Also the always have a pocher pocket inside to the back and a left breast pocket.

If you want to see good British comdey with Camouflage jackets then check out

ONLY FOOLS AND HORSES good french cammo .

CITIZEN SMITH italian cammo and ww2 battle dress ect.

DADS ARMY battle dress

IT AINT HALF HOT MUM tropical dress .

if you like mad humor and war stuff then you now have something to look foward to

All the best

o