REGIMENTALS

frederick

Although this title can apply to badges commemorating service in a specific regiment, it is most often used in a general sense to denote badges of membership in divisions, armies, regiments, brigades and even companies. The American Civil War brought about many veteran societies based on the veteran's unit, regiment, and army. When I first started collecting veteran badges in the early 1970s, most Civil War and Spanish-American War regimental badges were becoming quite expensive (for the time), and I was never able to get some of the most popular. The only two I currently have from this period are shown in illustration one. The Society of the Army of West Virginia had two badges. The second was a six pointed star hanging from a ribbon, but their first badge was a simple title bar and ribbon drape. The top inch or so is missing from this badge. The blue field should be larger with a white six pointed star. Because the ribbon was beginning to deteriorate, someone--probably the antique dealer--glued the remaining portion to a piece of white shirt cardboard. This badge is doomed. But because of the modest price and relative rarity, I bought it. Believe the eagle is "Old Abe", the regimental mascot of one of the Army's units.

The other badge is an odd Span-Am period piece bought from a veteran's group of Spanish service medals. The lowest pendent contains the seal of the state of Ohio, and the bar with numbers has Ohio printed on the back. Assume it reflects membership in National Guard units mobilized for the war. Would guess there may be badges with different numbers on the bar, but this is the only version of this badge I have ever seen.

post-1633-1213485333.jpg

The First World War gave us many Division Societies which adopted a membership badge. Believe there may be fifteen to twenty of the badges available, but they are also popular with division collectors, uniform collectors and medal group collectors. The only three I own are shown in illustration two. The first badge, on the far left, is a First Division Society badge. The slot broach and clean strike of the pendent leads me to believe this is a post-WWII issue. The middle badge is from the 28th Division and the top bar is engraved G.B. WEISS, PAST PRESIDENT, 1938. The last badge is from the 88th Division with a replacement black ribbon. The hollow ball suspension holding the jump ring is reminiscent of many French medals. This division society is still active with a website and items for sale (coffee cups, key chains, ties, tie clips, etc., but no membership badge).

post-1633-1213486294.jpg

Illustration three contains an odd badge that may or may not be complete. While there have been badges of this style, I believe this one was intended to be worn as a watch fob. It needs a suspension bar and link chain w/swivel clip to connect it to a pocket watch. Such watches were worn in the 1920s. it is difficult to say if this badge was presented to military veterans only or also give to civilian volunteers at the hospital.

post-1633-1213486615.jpg

Illustation four contains two other WWI items. The top badge is to the 166th U.S. Infantry which was part of the 42nd Rainbow Division. From the book OHIO IN THE RAINBOW, I learned that many Ohio NG units were assigned to the 166th and assume this basge was issued to commemorate that service.

The bottom badge, with a unique tirangular suspension ring, is assumed to commemorate service with the Army General Hospital No. 2. Except for the dates 1917-1919, there is no other information about this badge. If anyone knows of the proper ribbon for this medal, I would appreciate knowing that information.

post-1633-1213486977.jpg

With many WWI Division societies still active during WWII, there was no need to re-invent these groups. Few regimental items are associated with this war. The city of Naples, Italy made a popular souvenir badge in several varieties for the 5th Army, but if there are other WWII regimentals, one simply has to stumble upon them as I did with with the medal in illustration five. This medal seems to be for a Combat Engineer Group. This medal has the look of Italian mfg, but I have no idea if it was made as a memento, souvenir, or ordered by the battalion. If anyone knows of a proper ribbon for this medal, I would appreciate knowing that information.

post-1633-1213487442.jpg

Of the many theater made items to come out of the Vietnam War, the most popular item must be the 1st Cavalry medal. Made in both Vietnam and America, this badge is still findable at military shows today.

The badge shown in illustration six was a surprise find for me. Made with a Company 'D' level and Thailand marking, this badge causes me to wonder how many such badges are traceable to this war. It is also the only badge of this type I found with what appears to be the original ribbon. Unsecured at the top, as many other nations issue their medals, I would like to know if someone has one with an identical ribbon. Cannot believe a Company level order had a special ribbon made for this medal, so I suspect the ribbon is something existing in Thailand.

post-1633-1213487920.jpg