Salvage and Reclamation (1945)

Sabrejet

You're welcome fellas! There's a ton of such archive stuff on YouTube. I could spend my days just trawling for and viewing it!! :D

Thanks Ian. At least we now know where were all those boots and shoes we look to add to our collections went to. SALVAGE!!!

Semper Fi

Phil

Great video (especially for a former Ordnance officer), but the narration is really over the top! Proof positive that the 1940's were not only a different time but a different mindset. It took the narrator almost 4 and a half minutes to finally get to the subject!

But thanks for sharing.

Excellent! Not all soldiers were at the tip of the spear! Thanks for a most interesting link. Bob

respectingthesacrifice

Thanks for showing this, new aspect of the war effort. When you see what remained on the battlefield years after the war and realize that the biggest part was salvaged, one can imagine the ammount of damaged vehiculess, tanks, helmets... that were there. The damaged tanks depots existed for many years after the war in France. Provided jobs and raw materials for long time. I recall some Militaria magazine showing photos of some still existing in the late 60's!!!

Impressive also to see the piles of uniformes, wish I could get there to pick up some...

Eric

BelligerentBlue

I was thinking the same thing haha hopefully they didn't clean the planes that well prior to stamping them out!

Here in the UK in the immediate post-war period, salvaged / re-cycled aircraft aluminium ( you say aluminum) was used for the construction of pre-fabricated housing units built as an emergency measure to house families whose homes were destroyed in "the Blitz". They were meant to be a temporary measure but many were still in use up to the 90s because they were so practical.

prefab_1810265c.jpg

BelligerentBlue

Now that's a big mess tray! I'm not a recycle freak by any means. But love seeing things re-purposed. Glad it was able to help families long after the war was over.

• 7 years later...

I didn't realize this was such an ancient thread.  I went to watch the YouTube recording and it  is no longer valid.  I'm sad... was really looking forward to it.   

Steve

Salvage Sailor

....and a bonus

Here's the WWI footage

Quarter Master Salvage Operations in the U.S.A.

Creator(s): Department of Defense. Department of the Army. Office of the Chief Signal Officer. 9/18/1947-2/28/1964  (Most Recent)
Series: Historical Films, ca. 1914 - ca. 1936
Record Group 111: Records of the Office of the Chief Signal Officer, 1860 - 1985

28 minutes ago, themick said:

I didn't realize this was such an ancient thread.  I went to watch the YouTube recording and it  is no longer valid.  I'm sad... was really looking forward to it.   

Steve

So, after I posted my above quoted response, I went on Youtube and entered the  term "WWII salvage operations" and came up with lots of good stuff.  I think this link here may

come close to what the original link was, if not the same one.  Have fun searching around in that area on YouTube!!

Steve