Help with Chevron

gap

Can someone give me an idea of the time period for this USMC sergeant chevron? Embroidered on wool with cheesecloth backing. NO glow.

post-51748-0-49056800-1405271859.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

To be more specific, it is a staff sergeant rank, which used the straight bar instead of the rocker from 1937 to 1946. At that time, a staff sergeant would have been in a technical field like aviation, engineering, communication, etc. The SSgt rank was also used for the Quartermaster Dept, Paymaster Dept, cooks and the band.

On the other hand, three up with a rocker would have been a platoon sergeant--at that time a rank rather than (or maybe in addition to) a job title. The pay grade was the same as the SSgt: third grade.

A technical sergeant during the same period would have had two straight bars.

These are the two references I have right now for USMC ranks:

United States Marine Corps Ranks and Grades 1775-1969 (pdf download)

United States Grade Insignia Since 1775

The first one is full of information but can be a bit abstract sometimes. The second one is nowhere near as detailed, but it has all the illustrations that are lacking in the first.

As to exactly when this one was made (which I'm starting to think may have been your actual question), my references aren't of any help.

• 6 years later...
SgtMaddoxUSMC
On 7/31/2014 at 11:35 PM, jasonc said:

To be more specific, it is a staff sergeant rank, which used the straight bar instead of the rocker from 1937 to 1946. At that time, a staff sergeant would have been in a technical field like aviation, engineering, communication, etc. The SSgt rank was also used for the Quartermaster Dept, Paymaster Dept, cooks and the band.

On the other hand, three up with a rocker would have been a platoon sergeant--at that time a rank rather than (or maybe in addition to) a job title. The pay grade was the same as the SSgt: third grade.

A technical sergeant during the same period would have had two straight bars.

These are the two references I have right now for USMC ranks:

United States Marine Corps Ranks and Grades 1775-1969 (pdf download)

United States Grade Insignia Since 1775

The first one is full of information but can be a bit abstract sometimes. The second one is nowhere near as detailed, but it has all the illustrations that are lacking in the first.

As to exactly when this one was made (which I'm starting to think may have been your actual question), my references aren't of any help.

Jason, do you have the documentation for when they dropped the ties in '46?

Pretty sure I was referencing Perrenot's book, which doesn't have them past 46.

But since then, I found a press photo dated 1949 that shows them still being worn, assuming the date is correct.