Michigan's Military and Space Heroes Museum

uniformcollector

uniformcollector

Thanks for the bump up Dave! It was a pleasure to see both you and Pete-O there. I completely agree that this museum is truly incredible and the thing that always surprises me is that there are even people that visit Frankenmuth and have no idea about this place. There really isn't anything else like it in the country (especially as far as quality).

There are some displays that were added even since I started this thread so I will start putting those up today.

First up is one that was recently rotated out, but is very historically important; the first woman to become a USMC flag rank officer (Margaret Brewer):

post-104949-0-18143100-1438994185.jpg

Great museum!!! Thanks for posting these photos. Interested in post #9 regarding the WW1 Marine. His face looks like a photo I have but not too sure. Do you happen to have his name and any other photos of this particular display? Thanks again for posting.

Frank

patrick_usmc

First Lieutenant Robert Robinson

The President of the United States of America, in the name of Congress, takes pleasure in presenting the Medal of Honor to Gunnery Sergeant Robert Guy Robinson, United States Marine Corps, for extraordinary heroism as observer in the 1st Marine Aviation Force at the front in France. In company with planes from Squadron 218, Royal Air Force, conducting an air raid on 8 October 1918, Gunnery Sergeant Robinson's plane was attacked by nine enemy scouts. In the fight which followed, he shot down one of the enemy planes. In a later air raid over Pittham, Belgium, on 14 October 1918, his plane and one other became separated from their formation on account of motor trouble and were attacked by twelve enemy scouts. Acting with conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in the fight which ensued, Gunnery Sergeant Robinson, after shooting down one of the enemy planes, was struck by a bullet which carried away most of his elbow. At the same time his gun jammed. While his pilot maneuvered for position, he cleared the jam with one hand and returned to the fight. Although his left arm was useless, he fought off the enemy scouts until he collapsed after receiving two more bullet wounds, one in the stomach and one in the thigh.

attachicon.gifphoto 1-14.JPG

WOW this one is crazy! I had no idea any of his items besides his helmet and tiffany cross (at the NMMC) were still around. If I ever find myself in Michigan, i'll be sure to stop. Thanks for the heads up on this great looking museum!

patrick_usmc

Great museum!!! Thanks for posting these photos. Interested in post #9 regarding the WW1 Marine. His face looks like a photo I have but not too sure. Do you happen to have his name and any other photos of this particular display? Thanks again for posting.

Frank

He looks sort of like John J. Kelly...

uniformcollector

Frank

Hi Frank,

I am so sorry. I remembered your question and asked the museum, but never heard back. When I went there again, I took photos of the wrong Marine. I will try calling them soon to get a definite answer.

uniformcollector

WOW this one is crazy! I had no idea any of his items besides his helmet and tiffany cross (at the NMMC) were still around. If I ever find myself in Michigan, i'll be sure to stop. Thanks for the heads up on this great looking museum!

Whoops, that's actually the medal and uniform of Sergeant Albert Smith. We tried to get the Robinson medal for display many years ago, but the Marine Museum beat us to it. Smith's citation is still pretty incredible:

At about 7:30 a.m. on the morning of February 11, 1921, Pvt. Smith, while on duty as a sentry, rescued Plen M. Phelps, late machinist's mate second class, United States Navy, from a burning seaplane which had fallen near his post, gate No. 1, Marine Barracks, Naval Air Station, Pensacola, Fla. Despite the explosion of the gravity gasoline tank, with total disregard of personal safety, he pushed himself to a position where he could reach Phelps, who was pinned beneath the burning wreckage, and rescued him from the burning plane, in the performance of which he sustained painful burns about the head, neck and both hands.

Here is a full photo of his display:

post-104949-0-71177800-1439087026.jpg

uniformcollector

Here is a new display we just put up: the uniforms of two Pearl Harbor survivors. They are Gunner's Mate First Class Jim Green of the U.S.S. Arizona and Seaman First Class Russell Davenport of the U.S.S. Oklahoma

post-104949-0-31885100-1439087336.jpg

uniformcollector

Master Chief Hospital Corpsman William Charette:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty in action against enemy aggressor forces during the early morning hours. Participating in a fierce encounter with a cleverly concealed and well-entrenched enemy force occupying positions on a vital and bitterly contested outpost far in advance of the main line of resistance, HC3c. CHARETTE repeatedly and unhesitatingly moved about through a murderous barrage of hostile small-arms and mortar fire to render assistance to his wounded comrades. When an enemy grenade landed within a few feet of a marine he was attending, he immediately threw himself upon the stricken man and absorbed the entire concussion of the deadly missile with his body. Although sustaining painful facial wounds, and undergoing shock from the intensity of the blast which ripped the helmet and medical aid kit from his person, HC3c. CHARETTE resourcefully improvised emergency bandages by tearing off part of his clothing, and gallantly continued to administer medical aid to the wounded in his own unit and to those in adjacent platoon areas as well. Observing a seriously wounded comrade whose armored vest had been torn from his body by the blast from an exploding shell, he selflessly removed his own battle vest and placed it upon the helpless man although fully aware of the added jeopardy to himself. Moving to the side of another casualty who was suffering excruciating pain from a serious leg wound, HC3c. CHARETTE stood upright in the trench line and exposed himself to a deadly hail of enemy fire in order to lend more effective aid to the victim and to alleviate his anguish while being removed to a position of safety. By his indomitable courage and inspiring efforts in behalf of his wounded comrades, HC3c. CHARETTE was directly responsible for saving many lives. His great personal valor reflects the highest credit upon himself and enhances the finest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service.

post-104949-0-90571400-1439087641.jpg

patrick_usmc

Whoops, that's actually the medal and uniform of Sergeant Albert Smith. We tried to get the Robinson medal for display many years ago, but the Marine Museum beat us to it. Smith's citation is still pretty incredible:

At about 7:30 a.m. on the morning of February 11, 1921, Pvt. Smith, while on duty as a sentry, rescued Plen M. Phelps, late machinist's mate second class, United States Navy, from a burning seaplane which had fallen near his post, gate No. 1, Marine Barracks, Naval Air Station, Pensacola, Fla. Despite the explosion of the gravity gasoline tank, with total disregard of personal safety, he pushed himself to a position where he could reach Phelps, who was pinned beneath the burning wreckage, and rescued him from the burning plane, in the performance of which he sustained painful burns about the head, neck and both hands.

Here is a full photo of his display:

attachicon.gif IMG_1214.JPG

Oh okay. An amazing group to an amazing Marine nonetheless!!

Hi Frank,

I am so sorry. I remembered your question and asked the museum, but never heard back. When I went there again, I took photos of the wrong Marine. I will try calling them soon to get a definite answer.

Not a problem. Whenever you have a chance, thanks.

• 11 months later...

Lt. Colonel Chalres Kettles

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918 (amended by act of July 25, 1963), takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross to Major (Field Artillery) Charles S. Kettles (ASN: 0-1938018), United States Army, for extraordinary heroism in connection with military operations involving conflict with an armed hostile force in the Republic of Vietnam, while serving with 176th Aviation Company (Airmobile) (Light), 14th Combat Aviation Battalion, Americal Division. Major Kettles distinguished himself by exceptionally valorous actions on 15 May 1967 while serving as aircraft commander of a helicopter supporting infantry operations near Duc Pho. An airborne Infantry unit had come under heavy enemy attack and had suffered casualties. Major Kettles immediately volunteered to carry reinforcements to the embattled force and evacuate their wounded from the battle site. Although friendly artillery had pounded the hostile positions, the enemy was well entrenched and fighting fiercely. Major Kettles led a flight of helicopters into the landing zone through a savage barrage. Small arms and automatic weapons fire raked the landing zone and inflicted heavy damage to the ships, but Major Kettles refused to leave the ground until all the craft were loaded to capacity. He then led them out of the battle area. He later returned to the battlefield with more reinforcements and landed in the midst of a rain of mortar and automatic weapons fire which wounded his gunner and ruptured his fuel tank. After leading more wounded aboard, he nursed the crippled craft back to his base. He then secured another ship and led a flight of six helicopters to extract the Infantry unit. All but eight men had been loaded when Major Kettles directed the flight to take off. Completely disregarding his safety, he maneuvered his lone craft through a savage enemy fusillade to where the remainder of the Infantrymen waited. Mortar fire blasted out his windshield, but he remained on the ground until the men were aboard. The enemy concentrated massive firepower on his helicopter and another mortar round badly damaged his tail boom, but he once more skillfully guided his heavily damaged ship to safety. Major Kettles' extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty were in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the United States Army.

attachicon.gifphoto 2-15.JPG

They're gonna have to update this display! Well-deserved upgrade to Mr. Kettles!

uniformcollector

They're gonna have to update this display! Well-deserved upgrade to Mr. Kettles!

Yep! We'll have to bring him into the MOH room now. The only problem is we have no free cases (a good problem to have if I may say so). We'll definitely make something happen for the Colonel though. He is the most humble and deserving man I can think of for this honor!

• 3 years later...

Bringing this post up again because it blew me away with the amount historical groups that they have on display.

From this post I saw they had Joseph Glowin's USMC campaign medals. I gave them a call hoping they would get back to me on his campaign medal numbers. To my shock, they pulled the group out and gave me all the medal numbers without hesitation over the phone. I will post the numbers hoping they get added to the list on here.

uniformcollector

Bringing this post up again because it blew me away with the amount historical groups that they have on display.

From this post I saw they had Joseph Glowin's USMC campaign medals. I gave them a call hoping they would get back to me on his campaign medal numbers. To my shock, they pulled the group out and gave me all the medal numbers without hesitation over the phone. I will post the numbers hoping they get added to the list on here.

Thanks for bringing this back up. Everyone at this museum is incredibly kind and generous, especially the two Johns (one of whom I would assume you spoke to)!