KIA Named DFC

rob214

I got this DFC in 1994. Named to 1st lt. Jack W. Mathis. Bombardier, 303rdBG, 359th Sq. KIA on bomb run over Vegesack, Germany. Rob

post-104749-0-36827300-1405178156.jpg

Sorry sir, but I think your medal is fake engraved. The medal was made during WW2 but the engraving is sure not from then.

MW

Sorry sir, but I think your medal is fake engraved. The medal was made during WW2 but the engraving is sure not from then.

MW

Agree with Bob and Mike.

There was a seller who would have things engraved and then add a news paper clipping or other similiar items to legitimize the name on the medal he had engraved.I think he was a seller on ebay and from the east coast or Florida.I dont recall the name but hes been discussed here on the forum.

Also was there a chance its another Mathis and this was a private engraved or done years later??

I would check the forum and see if the ones discussed were of the same type engraving this seller was faking.He specialized in engraved medals to KIA paratroopers,pilots,famous unitsand more notable medal awardees as I recall.

History Man

I would have to agree with Mike when it comes to engraving....the en graving style is not official and the type I have seen on other fake engraved DFC's/Air Medals/etc. It would have been officially engraved at the time of issue. This one is more of a trophy style engraving and much newer. Another red flag is the history behind the recipient, giving someone more reason to do it.

Philip

I hate to tell you I agree as well. This type of machine engraving is modern and is not WWII period. Officially engraved DFCs from WWII are hand engraved. They also use the format Rank/ Name/AC , not Rank/Name/USAAC.

Kurt

It may be fake engraving. No claims were made when I bought the medal at a gun show outside of Phila. in 1994. I only googled the name about 6 or 7 years ago. I did have two different people look at the engraving under a loop, and they both came to the conclusion that the engraving was old. I'll toss it in the junk pile. Thanks for your comments, Rob.