Donald Duck on the USS Shaw DD-373

Thor996

NOT official Disney design, but wanted to share this nice sailor drawn USS Shaw DD-373 Christmas Card 1944- featuring his rendition of Donald Duck

post-30395-0-66155100-1405127494.jpg

Love it! This example (and many others) of non-sanctioned Disney art shows just how popular the Disney characters were with service personnel. They were a reminder of home.

• 11 months later...

Here's another vmail with great artwork with Donald trying to ring bell that has Hitlers face.

post-158569-0-93476700-1434509610.jpg

• 10 months later...

The things you find out on ebay are amazing sometimes. I got this USS Shaw vmail quite a while back and today while surfing ebay, I "found" the rest of a rather extensive grouping that belonged to this man. My guess is this was at some estate sale I missed where the seller sold this to a document dealer and the balance to another dealer from my area who sells on ebay: one of those DAMN! moments- apparently the sailor who sent this vmail home in 1944 was also at Pearl Harbor shipboard on the morning of December 7, 1941- here is the clipping telling his story: I want to add to this thread to preserve this part of the history of this sailor - I have typed in the part of the clipping where he tells what happened on that morning- funny thing: without surfing ebay, I would have probably known the history of the man who sent this Donald Duck V-mail in 1944- just goes to show how much history is lost when items [even mundane items] are broken out of groups and cast to the ebay winds........

SO with this I salute you Mister Bulpitt- and your crew mates of the Shaw....

......"Young Bulpitt, who is the nephew of Councilman Louis Grenier, was modest about his part in the fight. After some urging, the youth agreed to relate his experiences. "i can't tell you much," he said

But quietly and convincingly, he recalled that he was in his living quarters aboard a destroyer in dry dock. It was quiet and peaceful and he was reading the Sunday paper when an explosion shook the ship.

"I came topside, looked around and saw a Japanese ship with its red insignia flying overhead; and then I immediately went to my battle station in the engine room."

Within a few seconds word was raised among members of the crew to organize rescue parties. "By this time," Bulpitt said "the attack was in full swing; Japanese planes were overhead bombing and strafing battleships in the harbor.

"My rescue party went out into the harbor in a whaleboat and we picked up sailors who were swimming around in the oil and water. They were all injured and burned."

"Because another whaleboat didn't have a full crew, another sailor and I jumped into it and we went out to a battleship to take off the injured and bring them ashore."

"All the time the Japs were diving, bombing and machine gunning. Shrapnel was splashing all about us even as we were bringing the injured to shore and towing life rafts".

" I was too busy helping rescue the injured to know how long the raids took," he said "My only thoughts were to help them as quickly as possible"

After things had calmed down a bit and he had the opportunity to take account of what happened, Bulpitt who attended La Salle Academy before enlisting in the Navy, said he saw his ship had been 'blow up".

"I went to a receiving ship to check in and later I was sent back to my ship. With the exception of two nights I remained on it until it was brought into port on the West coast where it is now undergoing repairs."

Two of Bulpitt's mates in the engine room were killed during the attack and two others, both Rhode Islanders, were injured....

post-30395-0-61450100-1461459182.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...