Their glory days are long over...

MWalsh

So the story on these aircraft is that they belong to a technical college in Minnesota. The aviation program at this one was shut down and the bulk of their stuff moved to another location in another part of the state. The aircraft remain though. They have been there for probably 30 years at least now, albeit not like this. Until about 6 or 8 years ago I think the college took reasonably decent care of them as their program was up and running. I suspect that the fact that these two are basically complete yet, engines and all, has made them quite difficult to move. I need to make some inquires about these when I have a chance. At one time there was also a super complete F-84 but that disappeared about 15 years ago, I suspect the Air Force took it back.

So I took these pictures and while doing so had to keep an eye out for three things - police since I was basically trespassing, snakes in the grass (literally), and hornets and wasps, which were everywhere, burrowed in to the ground and inside the aircraft.

As the pics shows the things are remarkably decent as far condition goes considering the harshness of our summers and winters, and the fact that they are partially open. Their being on airport property has probably kept them from having parts disappear. I suspect someday a thunderstorm or high winds may tumble them, although with as far as they are sunk into the ground now, they may be well anchored.

The T-33 is a 1952 built model. The Beech has an interesting history. Joe Bauers site notes it was delivered in 1943 as a USAAF UC-45B, then later remanufactured to a Navy standard as an SNB-3Q, then again later reworked by Beech and again redesignated as a TC-45J. I suspect that both of these aircraft trained many, many aircrew members who fought and likely died in training and in wartime. I do not know what their future is, who knows, I was a bit dumbfounded to see them there last weekend as I knew the school had shut down and moved a number of years ago.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the pics. No photographer was harmed during the filming :)

MW

Johnny Signor

Someone with deep pockets could have them both flying again if they so chose to do so ......................

Shame to see them now rotting in the weather/heat like that ................

My dad could have worked on that Beech 18. From about 1959-1961 he worked on and flew aboard a fleet of SNB-5s that the Navy kept at NAS Anacostia in Washington DC. They were used by deskbound Navy pilots in DC to keep their flight status active. My dad said they'd fly up to New York City. circle the city and return to Washington. My dad would sit in the back and nap (and collect flight pay for it).

Our go-kart's (built by my dad) frame was a boarding ladder from one of these, the steering wheel came from a Beech 18 and I belive the go-kart tires were the tail wheels for this aircraft. :)

Very sad... like a big eyed puppy! For all of the money spent pulling vintage aircraft out of jungles and off of mountain tops, here's two ready to go!

I like the one in your picture better Bob! Great story on your father too!

I first discovered those two aircraft in about 1983 or 1984 or so as I had a relative nearby. I would ride my bike to the airport. I remember that at that time a padlock secured the rear hatch on the Beech but once it was left unlocked... Well heck, imagine how an 11 or 12 year old like THAT! It was pretty cool to get in and "fly" the thing back then :) T-33 and F-84 were a different story though as they needed ladders to board them basically, and of course none were around.

I don't think restorations on these is much of an option. They are government owned now,and ultimately probably that still includes the USAF, who would no doubt prohibit their ever being sold. Sad but probably the case.

I THINK I was at one time told that the hope was to get them to a different state site where they could once again be used as training airfames. I imagine moving costs have been or are an obstacle.

My biggest concern is that straight line winds will hit during some storm and cartwheel or flip flop them a few times thus dooming them to the scrap heap. Treasures like these are just seldom found in the Midwest, so these things are a somewhat rare thing.

Dont know if that Beechcraft is exactly the same model aircraft, but it brings back memories of Sky King, and his niece Penny. Watched that show faithfully.

Oh, I am sure they well know exactly where these are at and all. They are probably the ones that took the F-84 already anyway. Could be that they are already involved with these two already, I know they will reclaim aircraft which are not being cared for or are no longer wanted. Or so I have read.

I think folks would be surprised at how many old birds are sitting at different airports including ex military jets from the 50's. There are a few T-33's in Minnesota. I remember one in particular at a little western Minnesota airfield that was sitting intact with a mannequin in the cockpit fitted out as the pilot. Seems like you can find F-86s and F-84s as memorials in most states whether it be at an airport or the local VFW.

Lots of old Sherman's in Minnesota towns in the town park or guarding the armory as well :)

• 3 weeks later...

Nice pics!...i just found what looks like the Beech's radar thingy?? on top of the plane there....not sure what to call it, it looks very similar to that one, if i put up some pics and the markings could someone help me ID it?....thanks....mike