bazelot

Are those Navy Wings original?

Interestingly enough the round patterns on the back looks exactly the same. The clasps also look like they are exactly the same as on these wings (http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11339&hl=wing) Also the way the wings are molded when viewd from the side look exactly the same.

True that it is hard to believe that the front would look so shoddy.

BTW, this wing is illustrated in the Willis and Charmicheal book, WINGS OF GOLD book (pg 61).

Patrick

BTW, this wing is illustrated in the Willis and Charmicheal book, WINGS OF GOLD book (pg 61).

Patrick

Which wing? The one I purchased? Does this mean they are genuine?

Which wing? The one I purchased? Does this mean they are genuine?

Yes.

Best regards

Robert

donation2008.gif

I think these are most likely good WWII period wings. If you bought them expecting them to be pre-war wings, then you were likley mislead.

Your wings closely match the ones in the book. I always feel that is a good sign to be able to show an example in "the book" that matches your example.

Patrick

About a week ago while in the doldrums since my favorite sellers are on a break, I bid and won the following wings. I do not collect these wings but just could not resist the opportunity because of where they were listed, price and maker’s marks, especially the Imperial mark.

Can I obtain information on when there were made and used. My best guess would be prior to or during WWII. MAHALO (thank you) in advance.

post-468-1213743040.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gif

Man, I could have swore that these wings were fake. I saw way too many red flags jump out.

I would like to apologize though if I got this one wrong. I was just pretty certain looking at the

pics posted. My bad! :wacko:

J.D.

AAF Collector...........
**Always Buying WW2 Aviation Related Items: Especially Operation Tidal Wave items (1st Ploesti Raid) ..... WW2 Fighter Ace Related Items.....Higher End A-2 Flight Jacket Groups....AAF Related Valor Medal Groups**

donation2017.gif
donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

I think they are ok but with some caveats.

The H&H wings are rather common. What I have read is that sometime during WWII, H&H bought up Imperial. It is not clear to me when this occured, but I want to say around 1943 or so (I recently read some discussions on the USMC insignia section that had a different time period).

For awile, BOTH the H&H and imperial hallmarks were put on insignia. In fact, I have a few wings that have both hallmarks. I agree with JDK that some better photos would be nice of these wings, as the back of my wings are different (and example here: http://pfrost.bol.ucla.edu/images/navy_imperial.jpg.)

To my knowledge, no one seems to be faking these wings and they arent that hard to find and really dont tend to get the money that would make faking them worthwile.

Same goes for the NS Meyers aircrew wing. That looks fine.

Patrick

Man, I could have swore that these wings were fake. I saw way too many red flags jump out.

I would like to apologize though if I got this one wrong. I was just pretty certain looking at the

pics posted. My bad! :wacko:

J.D.

J.D.

No worries. I guess those wings are kind of tricky :)

What's your name on VLJ?

Tom