bazelot

Are those Navy Wings original?

I got those on Ebay and they were advertised as being Pre WWII

LittleLussinou069.jpg

LittleLussinou071.jpg

LittleLussinou072.jpg

LittleLussinou073.jpg

LittleLussinou074.jpg

Hey Baz, Nice to see a VLJer! Yep, they are definitely no good.

AAF Collector...........
**Always Buying WW2 Aviation Related Items: Especially Operation Tidal Wave items (1st Ploesti Raid) ..... WW2 Fighter Ace Related Items.....Higher End A-2 Flight Jacket Groups....AAF Related Valor Medal Groups**

donation2017.gif
donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Hey Baz, Nice to see a VLJer! Yep, they are definitely no good.

VLJers are everywhere. :) :)

I logged a complaint with Ebay but good luck with that. The pictures were so bad that you could not see anything on the add. Now I know why.

VLJers are everywhere. :):)

I logged a complaint with Ebay but good luck with that. The pictures were so bad that you could not see anything on the add. Now I know why.

Did you contact the seller and ask for your money back or did you go directly to Ebay? Additionally how did you pay for the wing?

John

Always looking for Wings & Named Air Medals!

Motto: To Collect, Preserve, and Remember!

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

Did you contact the seller and ask for your money back or did you go directly to Ebay? Additionally how did you pay for the wing?

John

I contacted the seller directly implying that those wings were fake. Here is the reply I got:

"I recieved your insulting comment and I will get back to you."

In no way was i insulting. I never heard back from him. That was four days ago. I sent him emails he never got back to me.

I paid Paypal.

I contacted the seller directly implying that those wings were fake. Here is the reply I got:

In no way was i insulting. I never heard back from him. That was four days ago. I sent him emails he never got back to me.

I paid Paypal.

You can at least leave him a nasty feedback !

Kurt

!!!! WANTED !!!!

WWII Prisoner of War items : Medals, Mail, Diaries, Photos, Documents, Scrapbooks + More

WWII Naval Aviation Groupings : Medals, Documents, Scrapbooks, Photos, Flight Logs, Flight Jackets + More

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear this man, i hope you will get your money back. If you can, please tell us seller eBay nickname so we can all avoid him...

Best regards

Robert

donation2008.gif

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear this man, i hope you will get your money back. If you can, please tell us seller eBay nickname so we can all avoid him...

His ebay id is "Stuffontheshelf"

Hello,

It is hard to see with your photos, but I am not so sure I would agree with everyone that these are fakes. I see lots of stuff not to like about the wing, but mostly for aesthetic reasons. The front part of the wing looks like it has been damaged, and maybe there has been a bit of corrosion. It also seems to have lost much of its gold wash. This makes me wonder if this isnt a "dug" relic of some sort. If that is the case, maybe they had tried to clean off the "gunk" and damaged the wing.

This particular pattern wing is not that rare and is usually of relatively low quality workmanship in general. Sometimes it is attributed to Coast Guard pilots, sometimes it is argued that it is from a foreign maker. I have a couple of this pattern of wings, and mine are different, with a "C" style catch and much thinner stamping. But I think mine are in sterling.

On the other hand, the detail of the ACID TEST mark and the back "pusher" pattern on the back looks very sharp. Put it this way, if this was a cast wing and the front showed so many casting flaws, then one would logically think the back would show equal amounts of casting flaws, but it is hard for me to see that in you photos.

I think some close up, heads on shots of the back and closeups of the sides would be nice. Also, it looks like the hinge and catch assembly are new compared to the rest of the wings.

As I said, it is an ugly wing, but to me, it almost looks like some one found a relic, cleaned off the corrosion (thus taking much of the gold finish and leaving the damage to the front) and then replaced the pinback assembly on the back.

Patrick

Hello,

It is hard to see with your photos, but I am not so sure I would agree with everyone that these are fakes. I see lots of stuff not to like about the wing, but mostly for aesthetic reasons. The front part of the wing looks like it has been damaged, and maybe there has been a bit of corrosion. It also seems to have lost much of its gold wash. This makes me wonder if this isnt a "dug" relic of some sort. If that is the case, maybe they had tried to clean off the "gunk" and damaged the wing.

This particular pattern wing is not that rare and is usually of relatively low quality workmanship in general. Sometimes it is attributed to Coast Guard pilots, sometimes it is argued that it is from a foreign maker. I have a couple of this pattern of wings, and mine are different, with a "C" style catch and much thinner stamping. But I think mine are in sterling.

On the other hand, the detail of the ACID TEST mark and the back "pusher" pattern on the back looks very sharp. Put it this way, if this was a cast wing and the front showed so many casting flaws, then one would logically think the back would show equal amounts of casting flaws, but it is hard for me to see that in you photos.

I think some close up, heads on shots of the back and closeups of the sides would be nice. Also, it looks like the hinge and catch assembly are new compared to the rest of the wings.

As I said, it is an ugly wing, but to me, it almost looks like some one found a relic, cleaned off the corrosion (thus taking much of the gold finish and leaving the damage to the front) and then replaced the pinback assembly on the back.

Patrick

Here are more pics of the wing:

LittleLussinou045.jpg

LittleLussinou046.jpg

LittleLussinou047.jpg

LittleLussinou048.jpg

LittleLussinou049.jpg

LittleLussinou050.jpg

LittleLussinou051.jpg

They also have on the back round dotted circles as a kind of background pattern.

I paid Paypal.

In general about returns with Ebay I have found it best to be nice and ask for your money back. If nice does not work I generally tell them two things:

1) I remind them of the EBay policy

2) If I paid with a USPS Money Order I will tell them I will contact the Post Master and file a conplaint for mail and wire fraud.

3) If via PayPal I let them know I will contact them..

4) I never pay by check.

I used 1 & 2 this week and got my money back so I know it works...

Cheers

John

They also have on the back round dotted circles as a kind of background pattern.

That's a good sign, because these should have snowflkae like pattern. As Patrick said, please post good pictures of hinge and catch... thumbsup.gif

Best regards

Robert

donation2008.gif

Guys, i stand corrected, i think these are good wings. Hardware wise these could be matched to known good examples...

Best regards

Robert

donation2008.gif

One thing that stands out, and gives me reservation is this "glob" of solder under what appears to be a gold plated catch.

post-1583-1213465017.jpg

post-1583-1213465245.jpg

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

the solder next to the ACID TEST actually sits on a round raised platform. Also the cord around the anchor has no detail to it at all. It is smooth.

These are very interesting wings. Here is a similar type wing discussed on a previous forum thread (http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11339&hl=wing).

These wings remind me of the econolead insignia that you sometimes see for shooting badges. They were made of lead or a lead-like alloy and can be characterized by this circle/star pattern on the back.

I have no idea if these wings are these, and it is hard to imagine that a pilot would settle for such a cheap product. On the other hand, these may be rare because no one ever bought them...who knows.

In any case, they seem to be very interesting wings. Ugly as sin, but interesting.

Patrick

Well the additional photos seem to confirm what Patrick has said.

John

These are very interesting wings. Here is a similar type wing discussed on a previous forum thread (http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11339&hl=wing).

These wings remind me of the econolead insignia that you sometimes see for shooting badges. They were made of lead or a lead-like alloy and can be characterized by this circle/star pattern on the back.

I have no idea if these wings are these, and it is hard to imagine that a pilot would settle for such a cheap product. On the other hand, these may be rare because no one ever bought them...who knows.

In any case, they seem to be very interesting wings. Ugly as sin, but interesting.

Patrick

Interestingly enough the round patterns on the back looks exactly the same. The clasps also look like they are exactly the same as on these wings (http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11339&hl=wing) Also the way the wings are molded when viewd from the side look exactly the same.

True that it is hard to believe that the front would look so shoddy.