G.I Money Belt?

Tony H.

A friend found this OD money belt among his late father's possessions. His father was a WWII GI who saved a lot of stuff, mostly gun- related, but including gas masks and protective items. This appears to be a GI money belt with sections for currency and and coin. It has no markings other than the zipper brand, "Talon". I know that many of my Dad's WWII personal items (like the Foxhole Lighter) were soldier friendly items that were useful gifts from family and friends; they were not govt issue. Any help on this?

Thanks,

post-153210-0-34541000-1404845214.jpg

post-153210-0-32221400-1404845236.jpg

gunbunnyB/3/75FA

hi, these money belts were indeed private purchase, generally at a PX, i've had several different styles and types, some were even waterproofed.i believe that there were at least 7 or 8 companies that made them. hope this helps a bit. -j

I have similar ones from WWI and WWII; both are leather. The WWII one has the same “double buckle” type of arrangement. I don’t recall exactly the WWI one is secured.

TheGrayGhost

Looks right for a WWII money belt. As gunbunny said, these were private purchase with many manufacturers and variations. Many did not have any manufacturer markings so often you have to go by the construction. This could be a collecting field all in it's own.

Thanks fellows. I wish I still had my father's to compare. I am amused that the belt is OD or khaki. Like my boxer shorts in Vietnam, what are the odds that these underwear items will give up your position? On second thought, I spent a lot of time in night laager positions stripped to my under shorts and web gear to try and dry out after the day's sweaty march. It appears the consensus is that this was not an issue item.

Tony

• 5 months later...

Here are 4 different private purchase money belts from the "Wosk Hoard", the WW2 downtown San Diego military supply store that closed soon after the war. They even offered a dark blue one for the sailors!

post-9295-0-30480900-1419379552.jpg