M3 flak helmet on D-Day

jfairclo

Hey guys, today I was watching Band of Brothers for about the third or fourth time and I noticed that the C-47 pilots were wearing regular m1 helmets. Weren't M3 flak helmets in use by June 6? I guess my question is, when do we see the first use of flak helmets in the ETO? Any pics?

thanks,

jcf

Don't make the mistake of confusing the movies with reality! M3s were definitely worn by C-47 pilots. I have some pre D-Day "team photos" in a book somewhere which show the crews lined up alongside their planes. Some definitely wear flak lids. I'll see if I can locate them.

oh I see, When I saw them wearing regular M1's I was a little suspicious, that's why I asked you guy's. But, i'm sure there were some M1's worn by pilots and crew on June 6.

Oh sure...I don't doubt that some wore regular M1s too...but M3s were available, and a better fit over their headsets!

Great Pic Ian. The Screaming Eagles patches can be seen on their jackets along with their flight crews.Who don't seem to be as motivated as their passengers. Just an awesome pic.

Thanks

Semper Fi

Phil

That is true, an m1 would not fit properly with a headset.

Go to Google and search D-Day Pathfinders. A bunch of photos come up of the crews and troopers by their C-47s. You'll see some aircrew with regular M-1s on, some with M-3 and at least one photo showing the aircrew with both.

As for fitting over headphones. Grab a copy of Memphis Belle and watch pilot Robert Morgan put his M-1 on backwards over his head phones :)