Indian Wars Era Buttons - help us settle a bet at AGM

I could have sworn I had a source indicating that these were adopted in 1875 or 76. I was even confident enough in it at the time to do a number of catalog descriptions labeling them M1876 buttons. However, now that one of our 'hired gun' description writers is here working on a pile of Indian Wars / Spanish-American War uniforms, I cannot find that again to confirm for him. I have wasted about half a day digging through references here in our library and on the interwebs. For button nomenclature. (And they ask "why does it take so long to make a catalog?")

Next mention of them that I did find is 1883 in the text for Uniforms, Arms, and Equipment on the Western Frontier, and they are in the official specs for 1885. Does anybody have any certain info about what year the 'chicken button' was adopted?

V50439-1.jpg

Flashlarue

The best way to date old buttons is by the back of the buttons not the front. The manufacturer name or other writing and design on the back will give you a close approximation of manufacture time frame.

Understood, my friends, but that is actually much more specific than what I am seeking. We're looking for the date when the US Army abandoned the M1854 (Civil War Era) button, and changed over to this later style. Photo is just for reference. Thanks!

Flashlarue

The long straight neck eagle design dates from 1875-1902.

That being said the Army uniform regulations changed sometime in 1875 requiring a change in the button design. However the button companies would have continued using the old stock design button parts until the old stock was used up. The effective year was 1875 but some buttons with the old eagle design could have been produced into 1876 or even later.

suwanneetrader

Most of this is from Albert's Button Book 1976. Orders in 1854 and 1855 called for convex device with a spread eagle with A,I,R,C, and D on the shield FOR OFFICERS. For all enlisted men the letter was omitted. Lettered buttons for officers of the different branches of the Army were continued until 1902 when the new button with the Great Seal of the United States was ordered for all arms and all grades except the Engineer Corps.

An easy way I always remembered for CW vs later was "a recessed center on the shield for EM equaled Civil War and if a raised shield it was Indian Wars (post CW)". I can not find date in a book right now but my memory says in 1872 (even tho stocks of old style buttons still existed ) Eagle buttons for enlisted men, with recessed shields were no longer issued. Richard PS: I'm not an authority B)