My grandpa was diagnosed with various cancers in the last stages just 3 weeks ago. I spent as much time with him as I could, whether visiting the hospital or at his house when he got out. The weekend before the 4th of July at his house and he seemed to be doing alright. When we were there he gave me this watch saying he wanted me to have it. Last week Monday he had to go back to the hospital and my parents went to visit when I was at work and said he was doing really good. I went to what I thought was just going to be a visit on the 4th of July. When we got there he wasn't doing good and the doctor said it was only a matter of time. We spent the day with him and he still was able to give us a few laughs, he didn't want it to be a sad time. He passed away at 12:37, and I won't ever forget that day. He was my hero and I will always look up to him. He received this watch at his last re-union with the men he served with in Vietnam just under a year ago.

post-118362-0-20864500-1404835628.jpg

manayunkman

The best thing is that you had a beautiful time with him in those last moments.

Not every family has an opportunity like that.

That's a handsome timepiece...but a sad way in which to inherit it. My condolences to you.

He must have loved you a great deal to give you such a beautiful gift.

He was a smart man.

If you wear that watch, then he gets to be with you ALL the time.

And you can't help but be reminded of him

Honour him by cleaning it and treating it with care.

• 2 weeks later...