What WWII gear/uniforms would you like to see reproduced?

SocietyBrandHatCo

SocietyBrandHatCo

Is there any specific gear or uniforms that you would like to see reproduced or reproduced better? And if so, why?

M1926 Life Belts, these were reproduced but the compnay that sold them discontinued them, and it'd be pretty good to have a life belt one could use at events that isn't a $100-200 original

doinworkinvans

I want a summer flying cap Type B1 (tan color) that doesnt cost $50

Also nice options on officers regualtion pinks and greens would be nice without breaking the bank.

i also know that quality costs.

Your websire looks great -

Daniel

SocietyBrandHatCo

I want a summer flying cap Type B1 (tan color) that doesnt cost $50

Also nice options on officers regualtion pinks and greens would be nice without breaking the bank.

i also know that quality costs.

Your websire looks great -

Daniel

Yes, quality costs, but the real problem is the cost of wool. It isn't cheap. And I appreciate the compliment.

Backtheattack

The_Brick, did you ever see one of the belts reproduced? I`m interested in the inert system of the repro, is there one inside?

Since you all do hats...every now and then people ask for reproduction WW2 US Navy officer visor hats. As far as I know, now that Johnsons in Annapolis has closed, no one makes wicker framed hats anymore.

Just something else that might be saleable...

The_Brick, did you ever see one of the belts reproduced? I`m interested in the inert system of the repro, is there one inside?

Yes, What Price Glory reproduced them a while back. They had no ability to be inflated using CO2 cartridges, but they had the tubes that you could blow into to inflate it.

http://ww2-living-history.com/shopexd.asp?id=3268

SocietyBrandHatCo

Since you all do hats...every now and then people ask for reproduction WW2 US Navy officer visor hats. As far as I know, now that Johnsons in Annapolis has closed, no one makes wicker framed hats anymore.

Just something else that might be saleable...

I thought about this, but there are so many postwar caps out there I don't know if it would actually turn a profit. Also, it is nearly impossible to have wicker framed caps made anymore, and to do it right would be prohibitively expensive, meaning a very high cost for the customer.

• 4 weeks later...
SocietyBrandHatCo

Is there any interest in USN aviation related items? Also, I priced wicker cane for making USN combination caps (the WWII method of making them) and if I proceeded they would run about $200 each. Thoughts?

I Would Like to see all reproductions destroyed! :dry:

Of course I don't do reenacting or I might feel differently

The Johnson's hats all ran about $200 each and I knew plenty of active duty officers with them (including me). It wasn't because of their hat prices that they went out of business, sadly.

SocietyBrandHatCo

@Dave: Why did you prefer the cane-framed caps? Nostalgic's sake? Just curious.

@Fly USMC: Why do you want all reproductions destroyed? Run into dealers passing them off as originals?

@Fly USMC: Why do you want all reproductions destroyed? Run into dealers passing them off as originals?

Exactly! Some knowingly and some unknowingly, but it certainly does get done.

....................But like I said, I don't do reenacting. If I did, I would not want to ruin originals.

@Dave: Why did you prefer the cane-framed caps? Nostalgic's sake? Just curious.

We bought the wicker framed hats because they were higher quality. It's the same difference for people buying Flying Cross uniforms or Brooks Brothers. The Flying Cross ones are far cheaper, but the Brooks Brothers are MUCH nicer. When I was commissioned, some of my class laughed at me when I bought the custom tailored Abbotts uniforms, and they bought the NEX branded ones. When it came to wearing them though, mine were far nicer looking than theirs! Same thing with swords...at the Academy, the midshipmen were offered manufactured swords in Japan, Spain, and England. The majority bought the English made swords, even though they were twice the price of the Japanese swords ($1200 vs $600) just because they were higher quality.

I guess people just like to be able to wear high quality uniforms...pretty much the same as it's ever been!

I think if you could get the Navy hats made, you'd have more of a market than just reenactors.

Dave

I think if you could get the Navy hats made, you'd have more of a market than just reenactors.

Good point. I know a lot of USN re-enactors, especially into aviation. Plenty pf people I know would buy one. I sure would, as NCHS makes the Navy war correspondent hat insignia for one of these hats, but nobody makes the hat to screw it onto!

Modern ones aren't even close, I get tired of people suggesting I use a modern one. Might as well just wear tan BDUs for how authentic it'd look.

SocietyBrandHatCo

Good point. I know a lot of USN re-enactors, especially into aviation. Plenty pf people I know would buy one. I sure would, as NCHS makes the Navy war correspondent hat insignia for one of these hats, but nobody makes the hat to screw it onto!

Modern ones aren't even close, I get tired of people suggesting I use a modern one. Might as well just wear tan BDUs for how authentic it'd look.

Dave

So by "correct" caps I'm assuming we're talking about the same things: wicker cane frames, 100% cotton covers, and 100% wool mohair bands instead of elastic. Right?

So by "correct" caps I'm assuming we're talking about the same things: wicker cane frames, 100% cotton covers, and 100% wool mohair bands instead of elastic. Right?

Yep, that's what I'm refering to, anyway.