How NOT to do it!

Sabrejet

Now...I realize that this is probably a staged photo, but it demonstrates the misconception caused by describing this WW2 Japanese grenade launcher as a "knee mortar"! Although the curved spade fit snuggly over the thigh, it was in fact intended to be placed firmly in the ground in order to absorb the recoil forces (see second pic) As the commentary in the video clip points out, many a GI suffered a broken femur because of mistakenly attempting to fire it from the thigh! :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zsv8uglVp8s

post-8022-0-78499600-1404817448.jpg

post-8022-0-23311400-1404817458.jpg

Garandomatic

I remember recording that way back in the VHS days!

Anybody have any record or account that describes Americans trying to fire it in the improper manner? I always wonder about these stories, kind of like how detractors of the M1 insist that you could hear the "ping!" over the din of a firefight.

I remember recording that way back in the VHS days!

Anybody have any record or account that describes Americans trying to fire it in the improper manner? I always wonder about these stories, kind of like how detractors of the M1 insist that you could hear the "ping!" over the din of a firefight.

Or that M1 chinstraps should never be fastened lest it caught the blast of a nearby explosion causing it snap one's head back, thus breaking the neck! :o

Yup my Grandfather told me that a lot of broken legs over there then because of the mortars.

David

Yup my Grandfather told me that a lot of broken legs over there then because of the mortars.

David

Ouch! :o Here's a quote from its wiki entry:

"Some Allied infantrymen mistakenly assumed that the launcher's curved plate was propped on the leg to fire and thereafter referred to it as a "knee mortar". However, any soldier or marine who tried to fire a captured Type 89 in this fashion received a severe bruise (and sometimes a broken thigh bone) from the hefty recoil."

• 2 months later...

VERY interesting. It looked like it had a little thump to it, probably a bit louder in person.

How were these propelled? Looked like he was dumping out a casing each time.

I fired two hand held para flares by slamming them on my thighs.Boy talk about feeling stupid,the next morning I had two silver dollar purple bruises and some very sore legs.I'll bet some guy in Washingtons Army loaded a musket with several loads of powder and fired it off his leg and it still happens I bet with the 203.Some things in the military never change. Mike

I fired two hand held para flares by slamming them on my thighs.Boy talk about feeling stupid,the next morning I had two silver dollar purple bruises and some very sore legs.I'll bet some guy in Washingtons Army loaded a musket with several loads of powder and fired it off his leg and it still happens I bet with the 203.Some things in the military never change. Mike

I had one and made the mistake of hitting it with my hand. Luckily nothing broke, but as I hit it, I naturally angled the tube down causing the flare to shoot at a 45degree angle versus my intended angle.

Mike