My Great Aunt Anne's CBI uniforms

AZPhil

Well some pic's of these were requested in another post so here are some pic's of my Aunt's CBI/AAF unifroms

Semper Fi

Phil

post-11740-0-92760900-1404791807.jpg

post-11740-0-03897200-1404791827.jpg

post-11740-0-76464600-1404791846.jpg

post-11740-0-46925000-1404791858.jpg

post-11740-0-59278500-1404791876.jpg

post-11740-0-02347700-1404791889.jpg

manayunkman

That tailor made short jacket is out of this world.

And a marvelous collection of CBI patches.

Thank you for spending the time needed to post these.

You are all quite welcome. I'm glad you like them

I was told on another site that the smaller Jacket is made from a British jacket.

Here is a pic of her in Uniform.

post-11740-0-82637000-1404795158.jpg

Semper Fi

Phil

So the short khaki jacket is cut down from a British bush-jacket and made of aertex fabric?

doinworkinvans

Wow Phil these are just great! Some really one of kind jackets here! Thank you so much for taking the time to show these off and remember her service!

Daniel

Thanks for the kind comments Gent's!!!

Doingworkinvans, the ribbon is a Women's Army Corps Service Ribbon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women%27s_Army_Corps_Service_Medal

M1shooter, I have all of her pic's from her travels with small notes on them. She was stationed in Karachi.

saberjet, I'm not sure what aertex fabric is. The Gent who told me this, is British and is the administrator of the Warrelicsforum.

So I guess he would know British type materials. I pulled it out and there are no tag on it. When I hold it up to the light it looks like a really fine mesh and I can see through it.

These items will always remain with me. I am the Keeper of our family history.

If anybody want to see more pic's let me know.

Semper Fi

Phil

I might have misspoken about the Khaki jacket being made from a British jacket. This is what was said about it.

"I like the Khaki drill material blouse. Typical of British Army clothing made in India."

I might have misspoken about the Khaki jacket being made from a British jacket. This is what was said about it.

"I like the Khaki drill material blouse. Typical of British Army clothing made in India."

So it is out of aertex, the usual British fabric. Typically seen used to make the "bush jackets" in theater. I don't think I've ever seen an Ike-style jacket made out of it before. Really nice!

CombatEng44

The CBI gals had some really "far out" clothing. I know the ANC was pretty lax at first with what the Nurses could wear so they had the locals making all sorts of cool clothing to wear around town. This changed when a new sheriff arrived! I can't remember her name but she tried her best to be more "uniform" with what the women could wear. I understand she had some success but there were still some mighty different items made. You have some really nice items to cherish. Thanks for sharing!

From your description, definitely "Aertex". It's a loosely woven fabric designed to breathe and keep the wearer cool...hence the "fine mesh" appearance you refer to. "Aertex" was just a brand name. Quote:

"During WWII the British Women'sLand Army wore 'Aertex' as part of their uniform and the whole British and Commonwealth land forces in the Far East and Middle East (including the British 7th Armoured Division, one of the most famous regiments of the British Army), wore Aertex bush shirts and jackets. These uniforms were designated as Jungle Green for the Far East and Khaki Drill for the Middle East."

I'm glad to see that I am not the only one who appreciates these. I would also like to mention that the wool blouse is sporting 2 overseas strips. I remember her telling me that she was in India when the Atomic bombs were dropped on Japan. If I can get some of her pic's scanned I will post them.

Semper Fi

Phil

The CBI gals had some really "far out" clothing. I know the ANC was pretty lax at first with what the Nurses could wear so they had the locals making all sorts of cool clothing to wear around town. This changed when a new sheriff arrived! I can't remember her name but she tried her best to be more "uniform" with what the women could wear. I understand she had some success but there were still some mighty different items made.

The clothing issue was not because the WAACs were lax or because of a "new sheriff" but because they had major supply problems in every theatre. The Army was not adequately prepared to have women serving overseas. The following is from the Army history website in regard to the CBI:

http://www.history.army.mil/brochures/WAC/WAC.HTM

Clothing requisitions posed severe problems in the SWPA (Southwest Pacific Area). The WACs arrived in winter uniforms complete with ski pants and earmuffs (both of which would have been welcomed by the women in France) and heavy twill coveralls issued while en route. The coveralls proved too hot for the climate and many women developed skin diseases. The theater commander insisted the women wear trousers as protection against malaria-carrying mosquitoes, but the khaki trousers worn by the troops were scarce. Heat and humidity kept clothing wet from perspiration, and due to supply problems most women did not have enough clothing and shoes to allow laundered apparel the chance to dry before being worn again.

After the WACs had been in the SWPA for approximately nine months, the number of evacuations for health reasons jumped from 98 per thousand to 267 per thousand, which was significantly higher than that for men. The high rate of WAC illness was directly related to the theater's supply problems. Among the leading causes of illness was dermatitis, a skin disease aggravated by heat, humidity, and the heavy winter clothing the WACs wore in the theater. The malaria rate for women was disproportionately high because WACs lacked the lightweight, yet protective clothing issued to the men and often failed to properly wear their heavier uniforms. Pneumonia and bronchitis were aggravated by a shortage of dry footgear.

I'm glad to see that I am not the only one who appreciates these.

These are very nice uniforms. Thanks for posting them. My Grandfather served in the CBI so that theatre is near and dear to my heart.

...Kat

Keats reference had always pretty much been my understanding also. Accounts for why in the majority of in theater photos, the lady's are wearing baggy men's clothing (PTO at least). Never thought it was so much because they wanted to, but it was the best option they had going. I can truthfully imagine none of the services ever thinking they would deploy females to overseas theaters of war, so the uniforms they had would serve very well in State Side bill it's, even in London. But I just don't think any one gave a thought to deployment to jungles or deserts.

• 3 weeks later...
CombatEng44

This is sort of what I was referring to when I said the CBI women had some different uniforms made. This lady said she wore this outfit when the girls went out on the town. She wore her field shoes(boots) with the trousers which were drawn in. The material is white linen. I'm doing more research on Ms. Everitt but it's been a slow process.

First time trying to post a photo so I hope it works.

This is the 1st time I've brought this uniform out to the public so I'd appreciate any comments. I did ask Katie at Blitzkrieg.com a couple of years ago but she was not familiar with any other like it. I hope you enjoy it.

post-13455-0-32485300-1406753633.jpg

That is an excellent looking uniform!! Thanks for sharing a pic of it.

What does it say above the AAF patch? Also what did the lady say she did while in the CBI theater and what rank was she?

Semper Fi

Phil

CombatEng44

Note: I don't want to tread on someone else's posting so please move this if desired!

AZPhil,

Her last name, Everitt, is above the AAF patch. I don't think there is anything on the other sleeve but I'll dig it out and look.

This is the catch. I bought this from a lady who bought it at an estate sale as a costume. Needless to say this lady did not know what to ask about the uniform since she was not interested in the historical significance of it. The veteran was actually at the sale but was in a foul mood..the family was selling her stuff! So sad. The lady was only able to ask a few questions since the vet was uncomfortable with people in her house. The only thing we know is that she was in the CBI and that she wore this when going "out". She thought she was with the ANC but I see no indication that is true ...so far. No rank, the name above the patch, no insignia, etc. Was she some sort of USO person or ARC...? I'm going to go back and tackle this again soon. I only have the name of the town the sale was held outside of Seattle.. I think it's the Wedgwood district. I would love to go there to investigate it but it's 3000 miles from here. I've got a list of the ANC who served in the CBI and there are some Everitts but spelled differently. I've also used many of the CBI Roundup newspapers as great references. Some good articles on the 1st WACs and the Red Cross in theater.

I may never find more information about this but it remains as one of my favorite uniforms. It is WWII and from the CBI. This lady deserves to be remembered just because of her classy clothes! Thanks for looking and the questions.

This is a great forum and appears to be made up of good people who really enjoy what we do. I've heard so many collectors who say they have no one to share there hobby with. This allows us to post our finds and let others ooh and aah over them without being so critical. We all are constantly learning. Good show.

Steve

Thanks for the reply Steve. I started this post and I have NO problem with you adding anything to it. I wish you luck in your research and would be interested in hearing if you find more info!

Semper Fi

Phil

• 2 months later...