Help with helmet

AB12

Looks like an armored crew helmet from the 50's to me, has similarities to an old football helmet by that suspension. I see the McGregor logo on the back which possibly confirms my comment as they made sports helmets.

Rick

I agree with Rick

Im thinking early armored crew helmet.

Was common to see conversions or football helmets used for a base for a military helmet.McGreggor,Spaulding,Rawling etc are some that come to mind

Bluespicker

Couple of thoughts in the for-what-it's-worth department. Mannie Gentile (see his site) has a 1970s McGregor helmet used as a parachutist helmet and the comms is identical to what is in this helmet. From the helmet's shape, I'd think it was early 1950s as anything earlier was made of leather and later they were a bit more rounded. I think the parachutist helmet is the best bet.

Forum member LarryM3 is an expert on such football-cum- tanker helmets. If he reads this thread I'm sure your questions will be answered.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to be so late in answering this post. The helmet pictured, a McGregor, is typical of the off-the-shelf commercial football helmets used by the Army in the period 1950 to early 1960's. The war in Korea plus the heightening of the Cold War in Europe saw the rapid reactivazation and deployment of U.S. armored forces. The Army research facility at Natick had been working on a new combat vehicle crewman's helmet since the end of WWII but would not come up with a successful model until 1961 (the T-56-6). The supply of WWII period tanker helmets had been depleted during the Korean War so armored units were authorized to purchase commercial football helmets and modify them to accept the then current communications gear. Examples known to have been used in this period are: MacGregor, Rawlings, Wilson, the German USAEUR helmets, USAF P1 & P2 flight helmets, and USN H-1 type flight helmets. Hope this helps.

Larry