IFOR (Bosnia) Spoils

12A54

"The Implementation Force (IFOR) was a NATO-led multinational force in Bosnia and Herzegovina under a one year mandate from 20 December 1995 to 20 December 1996 under the codename Operation Joint Endeavor to implement the military Annexes of The General Framework Agreement for Peace (GFAP) in Bosnia and Herzegovina. This was NATO's first ever out-of-area land deployment. At its height, IFOR involved troops from 32 countries and numbered some 54,000 troops in-country (BiH) and around 80,000 involved troops in total (with support and reserve troops stationed in Crotia, Hungary, Germany, Italy and also on ships in the Adriatic). The tasks of the Land Component were carried out by three Multi National Divisions: Mostar MND(SE) - French led; Banja Luka MND(SW) - British led and Tuzla MND(N) - American led.” [The eight-year “Stabilization Force”, or SFOR, followed.]
Because of its short duration, items related to it are somewhat rare.
I managed to accumulate many items during my tour, having served at Division and Battalion levels. The multinational division (centered around the US 1AD) included elements from Russia, Turkey, Norway, Poland, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia. I was attached out of sector on operations in Sarajevo to both the French 6th Division and the Italian Garibaldi Brigade. My battalion worked with the German contingent and BELUGA Group (Belgium, Luxembourg, Greece) during elections in late 1996.

manayunkman

I had a huge grouping from a Pa. 28th ID vet who collected stuff from everybody during his tour.

A forum member currently has it.

First up is a selection of IFOR patches for both air and ground components. Taborfalva was a gunnery range in Hungary which we set up during the mission to keep Bradley and Abrams crews qualified.

post-9621-0-55272900-1404769844.jpg

These are patches worn within allied units that were subordinate to MND North, the US First Armored Division. The IFOR patch top left was worn by Hungarian troops that secured/guarded a bridge in my sector.

post-9621-0-00507300-1404769950.jpg

Croat Orasje Corps Table banner given to me by its commander. Cap badge given to me by a Serb Brigade Commander. Serb and Croat shoulder patches. (My battalion was up north in the Posavina Corridor and the Orasje Pocket was part of our sector.)

post-9621-0-33686700-1404770048.jpg

Pocket fobs worn by various allied organizations. Top, l-r: German and BELUGA contingents that supported my battalion during the ’96 elections; Danish battalion under our division. Bottom left - I worked with some American service members who wore the (very rare) Allied Counterintelligence (ACIU) fob. Bottom right - our next higher HQ, the Allied Rapid Reaction Corps.

post-9621-0-96809300-1404770179.jpg

I served with the British Army over there under UNPROFOR which preceded the IFOR mission. My younger brother served on the IFOR mission and received a commendation from the US Army. Several US Servicemen were unfortunately killed by sniper fire on his tour.

My Battlegroup lost 5 during my tour. RIP

Rich

Rich - thanks for your service as well as your brother's. I was there a bit before IFOR and worked with UNPROFOR Sector NE on the transition. I enjoyed serving beside our British colleagues. We also lost a number throughout the mission to mine strikes.

I had a huge grouping from a Pa. 28th ID vet who collected stuff from everybody during his tour.

Manay - I would suspect that he was on one of the SFOR mission rotations, not IFOR.

Manay - I would suspect that he was on one of the SFOR mission rotations, not IFOR.

Maybe in the early SFOR period? I served with soldiers from the 28th in Sarajevo in '97, the unit was a fire finder battery

Maybe in the early SFOR period? I served with soldiers from the 28th in Sarajevo in '97, the unit was a fire finder battery

I don't think there were any 28th Soldiers during IFOR, but perhaps a few augmentees? Multinational Division North was comprised of active duty First Armored Division with attached units from First Infantry Division, V Corps, and perhaps some theater-level troops. We had two radar units and a fire support element in Sarajevo (French 6th Division sector). Maybe some SF. The IFOR mission ended in 1996 and several rotations of SFOR ensued. Many of the later SFOR rotations were NG units.

I like that YFOR badger! I was the at the end of IFOR and the first couple of days of SFOR (1st Combat Comm, Eagle Base Tuzla, July 28th - Dec 25th 1996)...I brought back some of the UXO books, a JNA Air Force button I found outside our comm tent, and a JNA Private's greatcoat I found....there was a crashed MIG and a trainer I really wanted to cut the Yugo insignia off of, but decided not to risk it....

Mark sends

I like that YFOR badger! I was the at the end of IFOR and the first couple of days of SFOR (1st Combat Comm, Eagle Base Tuzla, July 28th - Dec 25th 1996)...I brought back some of the UXO books, a JNA Air Force button I found outside our comm tent, and a JNA Private's greatcoat I found....there was a crashed MIG and a trainer I really wanted to cut the Yugo insignia off of, but decided not to risk it....

Mark sends

thank you. I wish I had another one like it but i don't- I picked this up and the pocket hanger [and a bunch of other things] at a yard sale believe it or not. I am pretty sure I got them both for under 10$

dave peifer

and intend keeping it........along with the kosovo group :P