What were the odds of this happening?!

Sabrejet

doinworkinvans

Ohhhhh sarcasm :lol:

I think youre right though - remember people believe what you tell them!!!

Ian-

I think the photographer lifted it up and placed it in there prior to taking the photo.

Kurt

Kurt...it's definitely not one of those "Operation Fortitude" inflatables! :D

That's way to heavy, but the photographer and his assistant probably could have done it.

Ian-

I think the photographer lifted it up and placed it in there prior to taking the photo.

Kurt

GeneralCheese

That's way to heavy, but the photographer and his assistant probably could have done it.

Unless his assistant was the Hulk, no way! The turret of that tank has to weight at least 2 tons.

willysmb44

Did anyone else notice the turret on the Sherman in the background left?

Looks like it's been flipped as well...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Manchu Warrior

When I was a crew member on a Bradley it was rumored that if you turned the turret 360 degrees one way so many times and then a certain amount the other way it would pop off. I never believed it but after looking at that photo maybe it was true??

When I was a crew member on a Bradley it was rumored that if you turned the turret 360 degrees one way so many times and then a certain amount the other way it would pop off. I never believed it but after looking at that photo maybe it was true??

While teaching at Aberdeen I witnessed a couple mischievous tell new tank mechanics that you could rotate the turret on an M-60 26 times counter-clockwise and it would unscrew for removal. (not me, my Army E-7 counterpart and his cohort in crime.)

Manchu Warrior

While teaching at Aberdeen I witnessed a couple mischievous tell new tank mechanics that you could rotate the turret on an M-60 26 times counter-clockwise and it would unscrew for removal. (not me, my Army E-7 counterpart and his cohort in crime.)

You reminded me of the times when the head mechanic in our motor pool, also an E7 type, would send young fresh out basic privates out with a balpeen hammer a piece of chalk and an air pump. He would inform them that they were to find the soft spots in the armored skirts on a Bradley and circle the soft spots with chalk. And while they were out they were to also put air in the road wheels on the BFV.

• 3 weeks later...

Feel bad for the crew. The ultimate tough day at work.

I agree with that, poor guys inside. Long odds indeed though. I think the Sherman in the background just has its turret in about the 8 o'clock position but it does look knocked out too. Probably not but sometimes, especially back then there were some guys who if they could do it would go quite a ways for a gag. I don't see a hole from a shell though.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a guess, but I am assuming that this turret was placed in this position so someone could strip needed parts from the underside without tying up a crane or hoist. I am just guessing this by the number of parts that seem to be stripped off the turret already such as the hatch.

Just a guess, but I am assuming that this turret was placed in this position so someone could strip needed parts from the underside without tying up a crane or hoist. I am just guessing this by the number of parts that seem to be stripped off the turret already such as the hatch.

If they lifted the turret up at all with a crane, it'd been easier to just flip it over and leave it on the ground. Ordnance crews wouldn't have wanted to strip parts on the battlefield, they were usually pulled back to the rear for that.

• 4 weeks later...

Captioned "Tunisia".

post-8022-0-54492400-1404766351.jpg

Ohhhh, just offhand, I'd say about as high as the odds of this:

post-156975-0-94217700-1422340397.jpg

Note that not only is THAT turret upside-down, but the whole upper hull went somewhere else while it was flipping over in the air.

If they lifted the turret up at all with a crane, it'd been easier to just flip it over and leave it on the ground. Ordnance crews wouldn't have wanted to strip parts on the battlefield, they were usually pulled back to the rear for that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

US Ordnance mechanics had nothing to do with that, except eventually getting it back out of there. What PUT it there was more than likely an 88mm AP that hit some 75mm on the inside. That being the case, that driver never noticed when it went up OR came back down.

Unless his assistant was the Hulk, no way! The turret of that tank has to weight at least 2 tons.

On a Sherman, more like 8 or 10. Or just about 1/3 the total weight of 30 tons.

And that's less the TC's cupola, which is lying about 15 to 30 feet off to the side someplace, along with at least one of the driver's and RTO's hatches, which are also not there any more.

Where's the hole from the hit? Probably in the left side, dead center below where the turret's supposed to be.