"Fast" style kevlar helmet help

juodonnell2012

juodonnell2012

Hello everyone. I am currently serving in the US Military. Recently we were authorized to wear fast style kevlar helmets for an upcoming deployment, if we purchased them ourselves. I decided to take a chance on buying this one that was listed on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LVL-IIIA-Ballistic-High-Cut-kevlar-helmet-XL-Coyote-Brown-fast-free-shipping-/171374180349?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27e6b277fd. I think I jumped to fast on it and should have gotten one from an actual dealer. The seller offers a 14 day return period if I am not satisfied. He claims they are level IIIa ballistic rated and that they were made by united shield. What I want to know is if this one is a legit fast helmet or if it is one of those cheap chinese copies that only claim to be ballistically rated. To me it looks like a good one but if any of the experts could chime in id really appreciate it.

The only type that I am aware of being allowed at the moment is the original Ops-Core produced FAST (Future Assault Shell Technology) helmet. There are many others out there that copy these extremely well. Some say they are ballistic rated others are cheap Chinese knock-offs. Cannot say if your command would allow another manufacturers produced helmet to be worn, you would have to see if there is an approved list I would think if someone besides Ops-Core was allowed and go by that.

The two easiest ways at the moment to tell the differences are most of the copies have a semi-gloss type exterior finish, and there is no logo molded in the interior crown of the shell. Everything is faked on these from the named velcro to now even the Ops-Core manufacture labels from Hong Kong.

Here is an early 2010 produced model used by an AFSOC PJ. Note the flat finish of the Ops-Core helmet, and the mold logo in the center of the crown. New genuine Ops-Core helmets are normally found to be about twice as expensive as the copies.

Hope that helps.

post-98601-0-26798700-1404764330.jpg

post-98601-0-98197300-1404764354.jpg

If it's actually a United Shield helmet, the ratings will be true.

However, the helmet in the auction doesn't look like anything United Shield offers. The auction helmet has Ops-Core rails and liner/straps, probably counterfeit ones.

United Shield uses different hardware on their Fast style helmets.

See: http://us.unitedshield.com/index.php/product-item/spec-ops-delta-ballistic-helmet/

A helmet could mean the difference between life and death since you're serving. Why chance it with buying one from a questionable source. Stick a with trusted dealer.

A helmet could mean the difference between life and death since you're serving. Why chance it with buying one from a questionable source. Stick a with trusted dealer.

I concur with the assessment given you by both Pump150 and Anelles. I especially agree with what Anelles said in his last sentence. This pretty much sums it up perfectly.

juodonnell2012

Thanks for the tips guys. I got my money back and spent the actual money on a legit one. Since we have to buy these, we don't have to stick with just opscore. united shield, and rabintex are also allowed off the top of my head. As long as we also have the ballistic spec sheet to go along with it our command will let us use them. I jumped the gun on it a little too soon but at least the dealer let me get my money back and apologized he was told they were united shield by whoever he bought them from.