USMC Field Desks / Typewriter Chests

Bedfordtec

Bedfordtec

I have a nice collection of field desks and recently came upon a "Barn Find" down in Tennessee. I picked up a total of 10 of these desks (large and small).

There are two pictures of the larger one which show it in a "travel" configuration and assembled.

The third picture is of the smaller one. I had previously seen the smaller one before but the larger one was new to me and I've been collecting a long time and am a retired Marine.

Upon closer inspection of the small desks there seemed to be two sizes (19" width and 21" width).

There was a fourth type which was half the size of the large desk but was similar in design and was labeled "Sgt Major's Office."

The paint was faded but was the old USMC Green and the nomenclature was painted in the old yellow marking paint. The interior was plywood and as you can see appear to never have been issued or used (no pencil marks). The nomenclature varied but was "Typewriter Chest, Small."

I would date these as post WW-I because of the USMC Paint which when it fades turns to a lime color. There are definitely Marine as there were shipping tags on the handles indicating Camp Lejeune, NC. but no date. Saw one of the smaller ones on E-bay an description was WW-II and asking bid was $299. WOW.

Any help in finding out more about these would be great.

Thanks,

Jim

post-152120-0-37321900-1404660316.jpg

post-152120-0-99721400-1404660316.jpg

post-152120-0-53121100-1404660317.jpg

BelligerentBlue

I'd love that large one with the typewriter for my office desk! I wish I could help you with some information, but I don't know anything about them. I've only seen them in a range of prices.