Need help identifying DUIs

MarkGreen

Hello all.

I just received a couple hundred DUIs in a grabbag deal and have spent the last few days identifying my newly gotten booty.

With all of the limited resources available to me, there are a few I just cannot find any definite information on. Therefore, I am extending my efforts to include the resources of fellow forum members.

The first three are clearly ROTC units with 1st, 5th and 6th Army designations embedded within the badges. I am asking for some basic information on them, i.e. what school ROTC units might wear them?post-152646-0-20623700-1404640718.jpgpost-152646-0-83041500-1404640718.jpgpost-152646-0-48284800-1404640717.jpg

Additionally, I have the following DUIs which have eluded me for many hours of internet reasearch.

The first is what I think is a Transportation or Support/Supply DI.

The motto "OUR MISSION SERVICE" doesn't seem to jive with anything I have found.

The next one I am sure is an Artillery DI.

The third I believe is also Artillery, but, maybe Engineer?

The motto "PRIMUS INTER PARES" appears on multiple DUIs according to TIOH motto listing.

post-152646-0-29062700-1404641828.jpgpost-152646-0-64151700-1404641827.jpgpost-152646-0-00943400-1404641827.jpgpost-152646-0-49070700-1404641826.jpgpost-152646-0-88955000-1404641828.jpgpost-152646-0-82828100-1404641825.jpg

Furthermore, I have these last few which need identification.

The first produces absolutely nothing from online searches.

Motto reads "NICADAE SASDI" I am thinking it might be ROTC and/or college related.

Like the first one, I cannot find anything to come up on online searches.

The third photo includes two DUIs of identical nature save the top quadrant color.

Last, and my favorite in this group again is most puzzling. Somewhere in my searches, I have learned the figure in the center of the insignia is Nathan B. Forrest. But beyond that, I cannot find any real unit identification.

Thank you all in advance for looking. If I can answer any questions for anyone, please feel free to submit them.

Best regards,

Marko

post-152646-0-71707100-1404642108.jpg

post-152646-0-92779600-1404642261.jpg

post-152646-0-03246000-1404642108.jpg

post-152646-0-15732500-1404642107.jpg

The first DUI in the second reply now is identified.

I have just discoverred NICADAE SASDI is actually NI GA DA E SAS DI (Onward) and is purported to be the DUI for the 377th Infantry Regiment

post-152646-0-31822100-1404649422.jpg

1SG_1st_Cav

OUR MISSION SERVCIE + 167th S&S Bn; Cannon and Horses head 104th FA Bn; Primus et Pares is 1st FA Regiment;

The white book on the blue field is Yale University. The DI in post #4 is The Quartermaster School.

I believe that the ROTC DI's for the various armies were worn by cadets in the different ROTC regions whose schools did not have a DI.

The two DI's with the Lion's head are worn by the New Jersey National Guard. I believe in WWII that they were assigned to the 44th Infantry Division.

Allan

The one with the Confederate officer is HQ Company 30th Armored Division per ASMIC Motto Catalog. :)

Dave

OUR MISSION SERVCIE + 167th S&S Bn; Cannon and Horses head 104th FA Bn; Primus et Pares is 1st FA Regiment;

Is there any corroborating evidence to the Primus et Pares identification. According to TIOH, 1st FA Regiment motto is Primus aut Nullus and the crest show something different.

TOIH actually lists four different units using Primus et Pares as their motto:

1st Air Defense Artillery

1st Artillery

106th Transportation Bn

Columbus College ROTC

Could my piece be of an older design? And, if so, when would it be used by 1st FA Regiment?

It seems this badge has elements of the coat of arms of the 1st Air Defense Artillery with the two green snakes and gules with argent pallets, but with the mason tower of the 1st FA Regiment. And with the motto from the 1st ADA crest which looks nothing like what my DUI looks like.

The first DUI in the second reply now is identified.

I have just discoverred NICADAE SASDI is actually NI GA DA E SAS DI (Onward) and is purported to be the DUI for the 377th Infantry Regiment

attachicon.gifnoidea.jpg

It is indeed the unit crest for the 377th Inf, one of the very few Infantry crests that do not incorporate Blue in it's design, Blue and White(Silver) being the traditional colors of the U.S. Infantry, and a common feature used in it's crests etc. The 377th Inf BTW was, is? a part of the 95th Division.

Thanks, Patches for the encouragement.

It has only been a couple of months since I started collecting some DIs.

I have a large assortment of nothing in particular, except I have better than 100 National Guard pieces.

Thanks again,

Marko

Thanks, Patches for the encouragement.

It has only been a couple of months since I started collecting some DIs.

I have a large assortment of nothing in particular, except I have better than 100 National Guard pieces.

Thanks again,

Marko

Your welcome. Another key thing that I think gets over looked sometimes is the fact that just IDing the unit in question is not enough, one needs to look at the rear to see the kind of attachments the DI has, and what kind of markings/hallmarks the DI has, these two things will tell one the time period of the DI. For instance, what is the back of your 377th Inf looking like, is it Screwback, or Pin Back, or Clutch Back, and what are it's markings?

gunbunnyB/3/75FA

(oh and just as an aside) several of the Artillery DI's have been used for different units at different times,lol

Hi, Patches. 377th has clutchbacks and posts. Of the 140 or so pieces, I only got two with pinback and no screwbacks. They are all supposed to be Vietnam era and newer.

Hi, Patches. 377th has clutchbacks and posts. Of the 140 or so pieces, I only got two with pinback and no screwbacks. They are all supposed to be Vietnam era and newer.

Do tell us if you like the marking on the back are on the 377th Inf, for the definitive period id, here's hoping it's a 50s early 60s coded one.

In regard to the 377th Infantry Regiment, there are no markings at all on the reverse.

In regard to the 377th Infantry Regiment, there are no markings at all on the reverse.

Then what you have is what is called a Non Hallmarked DI, or NHM, usually U.S. made, made obviously by unknown makers, these were common enough in the late 40s-50s into the 60s in both Pin Back or PB and Clutch Back or CB, but CB NHMs were numerious.

Is there any corroborating evidence to the Primus et Pares identification. According to TIOH, 1st FA Regiment motto is Primus aut Nullus and the crest show something different.

TOIH actually lists four different units using Primus et Pares as their motto:

1st Air Defense Artillery

1st Artillery

106th Transportation Bn

Columbus College ROTC

Could my piece be of an older design? And, if so, when would it be used by 1st FA Regiment?

It seems this badge has elements of the coat of arms of the 1st Air Defense Artillery with the two green snakes and gules with argent pallets, but with the mason tower of the 1st FA Regiment. And with the motto from the 1st ADA crest which looks nothing like what my DUI looks like.

This DUI is from the 1960s when Coast Artillery(Anti-Aircraft Artillery) and the Field Artillery were combined into the Artillery branch. The Army thought it would be a good idea also to combine heritages of the regiments of the previously separate branches, thus elements of both 1st Coast Artillery and 1st Field Artillery DUIs were incorporated into the design of this DUI for 1st Artillery. Luckily they realized their mistake and divorced the two several years later, becoming once again the Field Artillery and the new Air Defense Artillery branch. They also reverted to their own heraldric designs.

Mike