Removing Corrosion from Brass

Brig

This was discussed a bit in the groupings forum, figured it would get more ideas here. What would you gentlemen recommend for removing the blue corrosion off the brass? Specifically off the boards, where there's fabric to worry about. A member suggested Never-Dull, I am yet to try anything

post-22-0-34255100-1403561526.jpg

Definitely NOT use Never Dull on the shoulder scales, that stuff gets on the fabric and you might as well toss them. I believe that at the time these were in use, a mix of white vinegar and lemon juice was used, and rub, rub, rub. They will NOT shine like modern brass with Never Dull, but they were never intended to

Not trying to shine them by any means, trying to get that pesky blue-green off

I have used the vinegar and lemon juice mix on really verdigris covered brass, including a ships bell after a typhoon, covered in salt and thick green. Didn't shine, but with the rubbing with an old skivvies shirt, it came off. We were out of Never Dull, XO wanted the bell done, you know how that goes

You might want to talk to a friend who reloads ammunition and see if he has a case vibrator/cleaner he will let you use--- Not a case tumbler, as I suspect that would scar the brass. But, judiciously used for short periods, I have used a case vibrating cleaner with walnut shells and maybe some jeweler's rouge.

• 7 months later...
VladimirBerkov

White vinegar on a cloth rag works well too, the baking soda might help for extra-stained areas or where you need more grit to remove buildup.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a friend suggest toothpaste used with Q-tips to get some corrosion off brass. In my case, I used this method on some old collar discs. I found it worked pretty well. I just used the stuff I use daily and applied gently with cotton swabs. When you're done, wipe off with a clean cloth. I thought it worked pretty well. Like you, I'm not wanting them to look new. As a mild abrasive, the paste does remove some old layers of dirt/dust/corrosion. If you try this I recommend giving it a go on something that's not one of your gems to determine if you think it will meet your needs.