Identifying a Ammunition Bandolier

McDermut99

McDermut99

One of those .50 cent garage sale finds but now I'd like to know what the markings mean. I think it held magazines for the M-14 but other than that I'm guessing that it dates to the 70's. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

post-153059-0-56415400-1404533887.jpg

post-153059-0-78533500-1404533914.jpg

post-153059-0-37338000-1404533937.jpg

Constabulary

Seems to be 1-87 dated. And I would assume it is not a US bandoleer because of the unusual stamp.

There where no bandoleers for M14 magazines (and not for M16 magazines BTW). The ammo for the M14 came in 5rd stripper clips and a bandoleer held 12 of them.

I would assume it is a danish bandoleer for M1 Garand clips (Or from another foreign country).

McDermut99

Do you know of a place where I can look up the markings? Especially the one on the back.

I'm thinking South Korea simply becase of the lot KA-494. KA is a Korean cartridge head stamp.

I agree, a South Korean bandoleer.

McDermut99

So is it from the 80's or do the markings mean something else? Sorry about all the questions, I know very little about this piece.

Constabulary

Lot number is the number for the ammunition production lot.

AD# is most likely an abbreviation for the manufacturer of the bandoleer.

I wonder if the AD# 1-87 could be the date of manufacture, that is maybe it is intended to read.... "anno Domini (year of our Lord) January 1987"

RustyCanteen

'KA' did manufacture .30-06 in the 1970s-80s in South Korea, but most of the Vietnam era South Korean bandoleers I have seen are marked with the nomenclature in Korean.

This is kind of an odd bandoleer to me. It is almost totally devoid of markings and doesn't even tell you what caliber or loading is packed inside. Perhaps this was for export and not domestic military use?