WWII POW LEAD WINGS

KASTAUFFER

Of which would you like a close up? Do you have some in your collection to compare? Id love to see them. Please post.

Of which would you like a close up? Do you have some in your collection to compare? Id love to see them. Please post.

Matt,

I wish I did! I have only been aware of one set for sale, and that was on Ebay.

Just didn't want to take a chance!! :pinch:

Unless I'm wrong, I think we would all like to see each one, unless that may be seeming to hijack Kurt's thread?? :think:

• 5 months later...

Was home digging through my collection as it's time to deaccess some things (no, not these), but have been meaning to post some more pics of them. So, enjoy.

post-5618-1316162403.jpg

Jack, Jr. I didn't want to monkey with the one plaque too much as they were meant to be attached, so I only lifted off the few that were willing to show the backs. You can see the difference in coloring as the varnish on the front has yellowed quite a bit as the backs are "lead" colored. ;)

post-5618-1316162572.jpg

The castings on the pennant are much better in quality as they're more defined. It also has his Luft. Stag. ID tags. Have some of his other things. Will get to them in the near future and post in the groupings section.

post-5618-1316162741.jpg

The castings on the pennant are much better in quality as they're more defined. It also has his Luft. Stag. ID tags. Have some of his other things. Will get to them in the near future and post in the groupings section.

One word..... AWESOME

I recently acquired a group to a POW who flew on the Ploesti mission and was later captured and held at Stalag Luft 1. Here are Lead POW wings that came in his group.

The small souvenir wing is engraved on the back " 1944 Stalag Luft 1 Germany "

post-105-1290190491.jpg

post-105-1290190567.jpg

post-105-1290190505.jpg

If you look closely at all the examples I have posted in this thread, notice the great detail on them. Great care and craftmanship was used in making them. I am sure fakes of these wont look as good.

If im not mistaken, I remember someone saying that the "bubble" next to the pins on the back of the bombardier's pow wing were only found on modern cast reproductions...... since the wing here has it, im guessing its not true. can someone clear this up for me?

Ryan

kurt, I am not challenging the wings, I just want to clear up what I heard.

• 1 month later...
If im not mistaken, I remember someone saying that the "bubble" next to the pins on the back of the bombardier's pow wing were only found on modern cast reproductions...... since the wing here has it, im guessing its not true. can someone clear this up for me?

Ryan

kurt, I am not challenging the wings, I just want to clear up what I heard.

I missed this post earlier. I have not heard that before.

All I know about these is they came straight from his Grand-Daughter so I know there has been no collector funny business with Korger's POW wings.

Kurt

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
KASTAUFFER

I bought this plaque at a flea market many years ago not knowing what it was. Too bad I have no idea from which POW camp it hung. Wish it could talk!

This plaque is most definatly from Stalag Luft 1.

Kurt

• 3 weeks later...

Just noticed this thread a few days ago and found it very interesting. I hadn't seen any of the lead wings with POW or camp numbers on them. I thought I'd add my example to the mix.

PICT0211.jpg

PICT0212.jpg

PICT0213.jpg

As you can see, there isn't any personal information scratched on the back, just a couple loops to pin them on. I was told what they were by my mother when I was a young child. They were pinned to an overseas cap with 20 or 30 other pieces of insignia as a souvenir, mostly collar discs and wings.

My mother was an American Red Cross Clubmobile Captain and these wings were given to her by a former POW who was going back home after the war. She was in charge of Clubmobile operations at the Port of Marseilles after the war in late 1945. They spent most of their time feeding doughnuts and coffee to GIs returning home when they weren't acting like tourists checking out the French sights.

She brought back a number of interesting souvenirs from her service but this is the only POW item.

• 2 months later...

I got outbid on this piece as like a lot of other people I wasn't sure it was real so I didn't bid real high. Has anyone come across a POW made Glider Pilot wing?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unusual-Vintage-WWII-Glider-Pilot-Heavy-Wings-Pin-Theater-Made-/121147849992?nma=true&si=%252Bi95bWXBIDgOCGKeOlKBr%252BQcAzQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

post-1389-0-52492800-1376514186.jpg

post-1389-0-77346100-1376514196.jpg

These wings are consistant with POW wings I have seen. They have the right look. I'd say they are real.

The problem is with these is they need provenence ( IE attributed to a POW ) to be sure they are real. That is always the problem with something that is hand made.

If they are real $35 was dirt cheap.

Kurt

I'm with Kurt, I think these are real as well, but also agree that provenance is very key with these.

However, I would have definitely taken them for $35.

JD

• 4 months later...

I acquired a very small military collection, it took me a little to figure out what these were, and this thread was very helpful, thank you. The power of the internet is amazing. They are marked with a pilots name and I have been able to track him down. He is 92 and now resides in MN , I am in west Texas and he was raised about 20 miles from me. I am trying to get them back in his possession. Here is a pic.

post-150636-0-60223400-1389322856.jpg

Nice looking wings. I would ask him how they got out of his possession. He could have even traded them away while in the camp. Sometimes they made them to use as trade for cigarettes and food too.

Kurt

• 2 weeks later...
Patchcollector

Wow,very nice stuff here,and what an informative thread.I was initially surprised at how well some of the wings looked(post #17 center,for example)But then,when I thought about it,those poor guys had nothing but time,and probably kept themselves busy(and inspired) "building" these.Kind of like a cottage industry,I suppose.It's amazing what bored people can come up with when given just the most rudimentary tools and materials to work with!