Opinions on this officer service cap EGA

Spearhead

Looking for opinions on this unmarked EGA. It appears to have a bronze Eagle, anchor, and continents. The globe appears to be maybe brass, but I'm not sure.

Thanks much,

J.R.

post-103720-0-50285500-1404519601.jpg

post-103720-0-83980400-1404519627.jpg

post-103720-0-07481200-1404519725.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Salty post WW1 era service cover emblem. Eagle seen on this emblem was used on various design throughout the first half of the century, this emblem most common in depression era. Any marks on the reverse?

No marks on the reverse. I thought is was interesting in that it consisted of two materials for a service EGA. Thanks for the info. J.R.

Anchor and continents almost appear to have a fire bronze type color to them

Very salty, you sometimes see these marked H&H

Spearhead. Nice emblem. As Brig said, this pattern is sometimes marked H&H. I've always wondered who created this pattern that H&H started marking. Much more beautiful than the more common "1919 pattern". I'll have to check my photos but, I believe this pattern is around 1904. Not saying this emblem is that old, but still an exceptional EGA. Bravo sir.

Separately applied continents indicate production WWI or later, in most cases. I feel your is WWI-1920's

teufelhunde.ret

Spearhead. Nice emblem. As Brig said, this pattern is sometimes marked H&H. I've always wondered who created this pattern that H&H started marking. sir.

You will have to wait for the book (we discovered that answer during the writing) to enter the market at the end of the year for that answer. BTW, this emblem is depression era, NO earlier. It might even date to WW2 upon close examination.

You will have to wait for the book

I am waiting. ..............and waiting and waiting..............and waiting.

Very much looking forward to it. Your efforts (I realize what a huge undertaking this was) are greatly appreciated!

teufelhunde.ret

I am waiting. ..............and waiting and waiting..............and waiting.

Very much looking forward to it. Your efforts (I realize what a huge undertaking this was) are greatly appreciated!

J, and so are we! Sadly one of the principles in the Bender Publishing passed away last fall. Thus, there was a significant delay in starting galley proofs (remember over 300 pgs; 2000+ pics; 50+ pages of ref work for editing on my part). The untimely passing took place shortly after the manuscript arrived and only a month and a few weeks before the holiday season... Obviously we are disappointed in making these delay announcements... s/f D.

teufelhunde.ret

Sorry, no electronic copies will be available. Three years ago when the project was underway consideration was given, however, the frustration of dealing with the self publishing w/o a publisher; the lack of a common format; the controls (strangle hold Amazon has in the book market) others have to get a book to market; all the work the author has to do to sell copy; copyright issues w/ contributor submission; unscrupulous (for profit) copyright infringements; additional editing expenses; etc, etc all lent to discouraging electronic copy. Finally, an informal poll was made by me of the collectors I had dealt with in the past, the overwhelming majority wanted a hardcover book. Thx for asking, s/f

All,

Thanks for the comments on the device. I too am looking forward to the release of this book. In the meantime, I appreciate all the good knowledge shared by the members here.

J.R.

teufelhunde.ret

If these books are rim-numbered I was a single digit :lol:

Or as I prefer, you are indeed a "plank owner" hope you will be around for the second edition.... Yes you heard it here first, discussions are in the making for a second edition.... If the two old retired farts make it past the first! I think it will come down to sales of this book and the reviews...

Or as I prefer, you are indeed a "plank owner" hope you will be around for the second edition.... Yes you heard it here first, discussions are in the making for a second edition.... If the two old retired farts make it past the first! I think it will come down to sales of this book and the reviews...

I don't plan on going anywhere

teufelhunde.ret

Did I hear correct: a 2nd edition!!

... It's only talk. Still in recovery from the last 18 months of work, time will tell.

• 2 months later...

Old thread but I gotta say, that EGA has fantastic eye appeal. I love the wear and patina on it, Id love to find one like this one day!

• 5 months later...

I have lot's of EGA's and don't know anything. I just buy them up whenever I can. is the book out & how do I get it?

teufelhunde.ret

I have lot's of EGA's and don't know anything. I just buy them up whenever I can. is the book out & how do I get it?

The book will be out this summer