Machinegun bag? Map Case?

FSBE

I bought this shoulder slung bag for 20 bucks and the guy I bought it from said it was a bag that a Machine gunner would keep his notes in. (For range calculations etc.) but I also feel like it could be some type of Map case as well. The only stamp reads "US ARMY" on the inside. Anybody know exactly what it is?

http://i.imgur.com/Vw4or5p.jpg

crotalus358

I think what you have is a later (post-WWII) version of an officer's map case. I have an example that is identical that came w a 28th division officer's grouping. I say it may be post-war as I'm not aware of a reference to these in either the GI Collector's Guide or Doughboy to GI (unless I missed it), and based upon the service record of the officer whose' grouping I have, and when he was commissioned ('46). Hope this helps.

BTW, the one that I have almost feels like it's made from a waterproofed canvas.

Steve

It looks like it is from WW1 or between wars to me.

I almost feel like you're spot on with this. If it was post war it would be in a different shade. However it could be a British made bag for the Army.

New photo of the inside posted as well

C'mon give me a break! That stamp is as fake as a three dollar bill! And it's really easy to see that!

Ronnie

My first impression upon seeing it is that it was British-made. I don't buy that "US Army" stamp at all!

They mean fake as in not supposed to be there.

Maybe you just need a closer up photo. It definitely looks like a real stamp closer up.
yQ9XdyI.jpg

I understood what they meant by a 'fake stamp'. It's obviously an ink stamp but it seemed like it was real to me. However I'm beginning to rethink that. I can't say I've seen Army gear marked so obviously as to what branch used it like this one.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got one at home just like it. It's for carrying the firing tables for the .30 caliber machine guns. The tables are laminated to a plywood board and held in that case.

I've got one at home just like it. It's for carrying the firing tables for the .30 caliber machine guns. The tables are laminated to a plywood board and held in that case.

Thank you for clarifying this!

Do you know when they were made or what they are designated?