Questionable Firmin Bombardier Wings

JDK

I bought these recently. When I got them, they looked nothing like the pictures

that I had seen. I'm sure their the same wings. What throws me is the yellowish

color to the actual wing area. I have seen this on German badges where the

wash on the badge turns a yellowish color.

I have little experience with Firmin wings. I wanted to run these pics past you

guys to see what you think. The last picture best shows the yellowing I mentioned.

Thanks in advance thumbsup.gif

J.D.

001.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

It looks like the chromium has started to peel. They still look GREAT to me......but I don't know as much as some of the others.

Nice wings twothumbup.gif

They look fine to me, too. Yellowing is likely of the finish applied as the are non-Sterling. Lovely wing badge.

Bobgee

robert60446

HI J.D. These wings were made of bronze and later on silver finish was applied on them. Nothing to worry about... thumbsup.gif

Thanks alot! You guys are GREAT! These are my first Firmin Wings. I have never seen the

yellowing before. Guess I'll put them in the display case thumbsup.gif

J.D.

Hello,

I think I would wait until Gary Cain weighs in, he seems to be our resident Firmin expert, but I do have a couple of concerns. Be back of the wing looks awful beat up, and I am not sure why that would be the case. There seems to be divots and gouges that I dont typcially see on Firmin wings. There was some nice wings posted on a WAF thread here (http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164087&highlight=firmin) that shows some of his very nice wings.

As for the yellow color, that can be due to 2 things. First, many of these wings were coated with a lacquer and that frequently changes color from a clear to a yellowish color. On the other hand, sometimes when wings are aged artificially with chemicals, they tend to turn the metal a funny color depending on the metals in the mix.

My gut says this is likely a good wing, but a couple of alarm bells to ring out looking at them. The thing to do, IMHO, is to search around for FIRMIN wings (ie here http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...wings&st=0) and check them out compared to your wings.

Patrick

robert60446

Those English made wings are killing me...J.D. can you tell if rivets holding shiled on the reverse side are real?

Thanks for the info Patrick. I had a couple other guys look at them this morning

that have more experience with these wings. They both feel that they are good. Just have some wear apparently. Always open to more opinions though wink2.gif

Robert,

Honestly, I have been trying to figure this out. They sure look real, but it's

very hard to say for certain. It's tough to get the right angle to see. I'll be playing around with them this weekend, really looking them over. Maybe I can get a answer on this.

J.D.

robert60446

Hi J.D.

Try to take a picture of the bullet from the side to see if bullet is separate piece or not. If you will see bullet metal "blending" in to the rest of badge then it is casting…