Are These Gunner Wings Fake?

militbuff

:huh:

Phil,

Patrick would be the best person to ask that question because I don't know. They look very similar to some made by Amcraft . . . but they are not the same.

Kind regards,

Cliff

Cliff is correct they are not exactly the same as the Amcraft pilot wings. Some people (and I'm looking at John Cooper) claim they were made by Gemsco. I think they are as close to Amcraft as possible without having an Amcraft hallmark that I feel comfortable calling them Amcraft wings. We have some threads in the past about this issue.

BTW to make a 2-piece casting (casting the base wing and the bullet) actually makes little to no sense. The base observer wing is more valuable than the gunner wing, so why make a casting of a more valuable wing only to "down grade" it to a lesser (and more common) wing by adding the bullet? Even the bombardier wing is more valuable than the gunner wing--not to mention the flight surgeon wing.

Cliff got it right, if this were a casting, it would have been a casting of an existing gunner wing, and the bullet would have been (by definition) part of the cast.

Wow! I'm surprised that this post is still going on! I'll take some more and better pics tomorrow. Dan