Identification help on a DUI

westernfed

westernfed

Guys,

I cannot find this DUI anywhere and was wondering if someone on the forum had an idea.

Thanks

Ryan

post-39901-0-86406700-1404384018.jpg

Rakkasan187

Ryan,

Here is the link to the ASMIC website. You may want to look around a bit and see if it interests you. It is a good investment and they have motto catalogs for sale as well as other DUI identification books. As an ASMIC member I can say that it has been a valuable reserach tool over the years. The quarterly publication "The Trading Post" is also a great color book that is mailed to members that have some stunning articles and pictures in them.

http://www.asmic.org/

U.S. Army Heraldic Crests: A Complete Illustrated History of Authorized Distinctive Unit Insignia by Barry Jason Stein is also a good reference book for authorized DUI's. This book is out of print but available on Amazon. It is a little expensive, used editions starting at about $83.00 but I think it is very well worth the price. It has color plates of about 4000 DUI's as well as a description of the unit, when the DUI was approved, campaign credits and motto interpretation if the motto is in Latin. Some real good information in this book.

Leigh

The 97th QM Battalion was constituted in May 1936 in the Regular Army as Headquarters & Headquarters Detachment, 97th Quartermaster Battalion (Bakery) and allotted to the Eighth Corps area. So, there is a bakery connection. Louisiana was in the Eighth Corps area, and that may explain the Fleur-di-Lis. It seems the battalion's insignia changed in about 1965 to the following:

post-105245-0-76229000-1404399593.jpg

Thank you Ryan and all other!

yes, the DUI is "Sterling" marked pinback. It seems I have a liner of this unit in my collection.

Frankie

• 3 weeks later...

I have finally bought the uniform from my friend wh needed money for some other project. I think it goes well together, doesn't it? ;)

post-9248-0-06699700-1406190328.jpg

post-9248-0-14823300-1406190348.jpg

post-9248-0-21518100-1406190375.jpg

Here is the liner alone, it was found iin Pilsen in early 90's, it has a scratched 1st army on the righ, 3rd army on the left side (as well as the patches on the IKE) and that DUI on the front. It also has a "IDAHO" scratched on the back. Sadly no ID.

Thank you all for help.

Frankie

post-9248-0-20612800-1406190669.jpg

post-34986-0-59724300-1406218622.jpg

What an interesting design, is the background Buff or is it White? Buff being the main Branch color of the QMC.

attachicon.giftqmc.jpg

What an interesting design, is the background Buff or is it White? Buff being the main Branch color of the QMC.

Not sure, I think it's not really white. I'll take a picture on a white paper when I am home tonight.