1993 MILITARY Insignia & Grades in the U.S.Army

hhbooker2

In 1993 it was decided to produce an equivalent of the "CROW'S NEST" mewsletter that was of the ranks and rates of the Sea Services, i.e., USCG, USCG&S, USMC, MSMS, USN, & USPHS, so about 32 pages were illustrated, but having little feedback for such a publication which would be published at my own expense and I would have also paid for shipping & Handling too, so here are the pages that I could find scattered in various boxes of military boosl, uniforms, medals, etc., in the second floor store room. Here is the cover page to start with here, as you can see, where possible pages were in colour. ENJOY! :rolleyes: Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California ([email protected]) (POST SCRIPT: I later discovered what would have been popular would have been a newsletter on distinictive unit insignia and squadron patches, little did I know?)

post-837-1213300722.jpg

Issue 1, page 4. ;)

When did a First Sergeant have three chevrons and and arc below and not three chevrons and two arcs below? It was in 1924 as evidenced in this old Compton's Encyclopaedia, here is visual proof that the rank of First Sergeant was same as a Staff Sergeant with an open diamond (lozenge) and ranked below a Master Sergeant and a Platoon Sergeant (Sergeant First Class). Sent this page to LTC William K. Emerson who authored "CHEVRONS," an outstanding work on the chevrons of the Army of the United States.

post-837-1213321598.jpg

Who says encyclopedias don't make mistakes? Note the Staff Sgt. with a 1st Sgt. diamond. Never used! In 1920, the First Sgt. got two rockers, not one. Check Emerson's book "CHEVRONS". By 1924, the 2 rockers were for Technical Sergeant and 3 rockers for Master Sergeant.

(But you guys all know this! thumbsup.gif )

Who says encyclopedias don't make mistakes? Note the Staff Sgt. with a 1st Sgt. diamond. Never used! In 1920, the First Sgt. got two rockers, not one. Check Emerson's book "CHEVRONS". By 1924, the 2 rockers were for Technical Sergeant and 3 rockers for Master Sergeant.

(But you guys all know this! thumbsup.gif )

LEE: Who knows? Maybe it was very short-lived? Here is page 7 of the unpublished newsletter, maybe I'll find pages 5 and 6 and other missing pages? Heard that encyclopaedias sometimes make mistakes, probably doesn't happen often? I send a duplicate copy of the book from the set to Colonel Emerson back in 1993. :unsure:

post-837-1213372721.jpg