Spotted Today, M-4 Tractor and Artillery Mover

36-tex

Garandomatic

It might just be Ohio. I saw one in the central part of the state in about 1999 riding with my future wife and father-in-law.

El Bibliotecario

Here's a link which I copied from another thread

This shows the tractor in question being used in USAREUR as a prime mover for the 90mm antiaircraft gun. Coincidentally, the unit shown is my old battalion, although long before I joined. They later converted to Nike Ajax, but the first ARADCOM Ajax battery didn't go operational until 1954, so I'm guessing the tractor was still being used after the Korean war.

• 1 year later...

I am the owner of this M4 High Speed Tractor!! What a surprise to find this on the forum!! I just restored it this past spring and drove it thru the rodeo arena during the local fair while the National Anthem was played. It is a very fun toy!!

AJ

post-161475-0-17167700-1450823769.jpg

I've wanted to ride in one of these ever since this kit showed up under my Christmas tree when I was about 8 years old.

Let me know if you ever bring it to Omaha!

Revell H523-198 LongToma.JPG

AJ, that looks like a great restoration job! I bet you are going to have so much fun driving the M4 in many parades in the future. Thanks for posting this ;)

Terry

Here's a link which I copied from another thread

This shows the tractor in question being used in USAREUR as a prime mover for the 90mm antiaircraft gun. Coincidentally, the unit shown is my old battalion, although long before I joined. They later converted to Nike Ajax, but the first ARADCOM Ajax battery didn't go operational until 1954, so I'm guessing the tractor was still being used after the Korean war.

fantastic video. Never seen the early M35 truck with a quad 50 in Europe, seen gun trucks but not seen one like that. Also great to see an M37 with M101 combo like mine

Thanks for posting

If any of you guys get to O'Neill Nebraska let me know I'm always willing to give rides!!

Maybe when the summer comes!

• 2 months later...
Cobrahistorian

Looks great AJ! Say, you wouldn't be willing to take some photos and measurements on the ammo stowage bins, would you? Mine is a 90mm tractor, but someone at some point dropped 155 ammo bins on it and I need to get, or fabricate the correct 90mm bins.

Also, earlier in the thread, someone said that the M4 HST had the same suspension as the Stuart tank. That's not true. The M5 and M5A1 HST has the Stuart suspension. The M4 is a larger vehicle and uses the M2 Medium Tank's suspension with Sherman tracks.

Jon

I will take some pics of the inside of my ammo box. I do not have any of the racks on the inside. Mine is designed to carry the 3inch/90mm ammo in steel packing cases and the pigeon holes are removed and angle iron strips are built in the compartment. Steel reinforcing angle are welded to the rear of the ammunition compartment and the small door on the rear is welded shut. This modification was authorized with MWO G150-W5 of May 31 1945. AJ