Spotted Today, M-4 Tractor and Artillery Mover

36-tex

My summer job is checking for compliance of local farmers irrigation systems. As I was traveling some of the back roads of the county, I found this sitting in someones yard. There appeared to be track marks in front of it, making me believe is must run. I know nothing about it. It was to cool not to take a picture of.

Is it some kind of missile delivery vehicle?

post-98-0-08940700-1404334699.jpg

It's a WW2 M5 artillery prime mover...used for hauling big guns like the "Long Tom" etc.

You'll notice that the suspension / chassis is that of the WW2 "Stuart" light tank series.

Could be an M4, I think the M5 had a different suspension.

No...it's M5 Stuart type suspension.

1326722119_m3-stuart3.jpg

Old Marine

That is an M-4 Tractor. The tracks and wheels are kind of a weird mix of Stuart and Sherman Parts. That is a WWII vehicle and I don't think it was used much after the war, being replaced with the M-5 and it's variants.

post-2843-0-49414700-1404337629.jpg

Old Marine

A model is not a great source of reference but I read a lot about the M4 and M5 when I was trying to kit bash this thing together. Here is my 1/35 scale M-4.

That is a neat find, you never know what is lying around out there. You notice the back part of the tractor you found is missing, that is where the ammo was stored. I suppose ammo storage wasn't of much use on a post war farm.

post-2843-0-59416100-1404337869.jpg

Amazing that it remains mostly intact!

I've seen several tracked chassis turned into drilling rig platforms or for logging use (though most now appear to be little used due to purpose built machines now doing the job).

Ian, where is that storage yard of M-5's located?

Another variant with a different body and suspension arrangement.

M5A1 High Speed Tractor, which is a variant of the M5. This uses the running gear and tracks of the M3/M5 series light tanks. However, what the OP posted, as Old Marine pointed out, is an M4 HST, which has nothing to do with the M5/M5A1. Although the M4 HST had the trailing idler design from the light tanks, it used the tracks, sprockets and road wheels from the M4 Medium Tank, plus an early version of the horizontal volute spring suspension units developed for the medium tank.

Amazing that it remains mostly intact!

I've seen several tracked chassis turned into drilling rig platforms or for logging use (though most now appear to be little used due to purpose built machines now doing the job).

Ian, where is that storage yard of M-5's located?

Those are all M4's.

The Meatcan

I want one!!!!!!!.............mike

When I was a lad, my folks owned a construction company. We received weekly advertisements for used construction vehicles for sale. The ads were chockful of surplus halftracks and these high speed tractors. I always pestered Dad that we should buy one, and as he had servied in the field artillery, he actually considered buying one of the HSTs. But, alas, he never did and I never to got drive one. :(

Keep hoping Mike, Christmas is just a few months away!

Terry

5thwingmarty

On one of those "reality TV" shows about different groups of loggers, one of the companies had a Sherman tank that had been modified to help with their logging up in the mountains.

• 2 weeks later...
Cobrahistorian

I think it's in Ohio. THey've got an M6 that I was interested in, but when I saw pics of it, it was pretty much clear cut above the tracks and a backhoe cab was added to it. Sad, since there aren't a lot of M6s out there. I've got an M4 in the museum and the Field Artillery Museum just acquired an M5A1. The biggest of the High Speed Tractors, however is the postwar M8, which was used as a prime mover for the 120mm, M51 Skysweeper and other AA systems.

I love HSTs!

Jon