'Silver' Marked Dress EGA

Brig

Picked up this beauty, often found marked 'Gemsco' but this one is not. Great officer dress cover, marked simply 'SILVER' in the rear crossbar, a common practice before the word 'STERLING' was made a requirement

101_5960.JPG

101_5961.JPG

This emblem was used from before WWI up and to before or early WWII. Normally I associate the zig-zag fret work with 30's and later, and the Silver mark with early 20's and before...I can't find my note of when the term 'Sterling' became the common practice on silver items at the moment

Nice! I believe the use of the word "SILVER" dates this piece to 1910 or earlier. Unlikely that it was used any later. My 2-cents. Great find! Semper Fi! Bob

teufelhunde.ret

Salty! Bagman - Brig speaks to various design elements. This emblem came into being during the depression era. The fret work on the globe is machine tooled, unlike previous examples showing hand tooled fret work. The continents are applied, up to the post WW1 era these were typically molded at time of assembly. The rope is an upside down J configuration, it was most often (typically) used between WW1 & WW2. The eagle design (and the word silver) can be found on emblems in every decade from 1900 - 1950

Bob Hudson

Keep in mind that "Sterling" is a specific type of alloy with 92.5% silver in it. An item just marked "Silver" means it has some silver in it, but possibly not much, although it's a whole lot better deal than silver plate.

The "Sterling" has been used for a long, long time and likely would never be replaced by simply "silver," because "sterling" is as important a sales point as is stamping gold 18K or 24K.

I'm thinking it might be a transitional emblem. Older struck anchor onto a new struck globe during the transition from hand tooling to machine tooling, much like you othen see the long, narrow screw posts associated with lead cover emblems on the bold, post WWII enlisted emblems

This actually came from the same source as the jeweler-made collar emblem. He had a pair of 20s-30s Meyers dress collars, hand-tooled, that ended at the same moment as this but I let them go not knowing if this would jump up in the final moments