"Trench Art" M1917 Machice Gun on Ebay

ColtM1911

It looks very nice, regardless if its actual "trench Art" or a novelty post war item, but the going price is very high. Currently, its at 1,200 dollars with eight hours remaining. Any thoughts on the piece from those who collect trench art?

The ebay item number is: 161346082391

Definitley not WWI, since it's an M1917A1 and per the seller's description: "We offer a model gun Browning 1917 made in the style of trench art." So, most likely it's a modern made model.

BigJohn#3RD

ColtM1911,

Yes I have to agree with you it is a great piece of trench art. Trench art is rather broad term that has taken on an expanded meaning over the years; from actual items made at the front to a cottage industry that opened up during the "Great War" continued in to occupation period to the interwar period into WWII. I read way back in the early 70's that many of the painted Camo German helmets were produced in the 20s and 30s by both Belgium and French entrepreneurs to cater to the visiting US and Brit Veterans who went back to the battle fields they fought on. Also a whole cottage industry sprang up around annual American Legion and WWI Unit Reunions where folks would ply their artistic ability on the "Vets Mementos" primarily Gas Bags and Helmets for a nominal fee. So yes I think it would fall in the realm of trench art.

I am by no means a SME on the subject just love collecting it, but a slightly lower rate as this object is commanding. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
Regards,

John

post-5224-0-27184700-1404328058.jpg

Part of what in my opinion makes trench art "trench art" is the uniqueness of the items, as they were mostly hand done. This piece is obviously a high quality factory production piece, and while well done, lacks the artistry of true "Trench art".

Yes I have to agree with you it is a great piece of trench art.

Even if you use the broadest definition of "trench art" it still wouldn't include models like this that are clearly modern and made in a factory in the Ukraine. Just read the description and look at the seller's other items for sale. They even state "made in the style of trench art", which means it's not actually "trench art".

Well, it sold for $1,200. That's a very expensive (and probably mass produced) desk ornament

To me, the term TRENCH ART" is like the term "FIGHTING KNIFE", both overused and often inaccurate.