IRAQ TREASURES

jmpmstr

A few items I was able to give a new home from my time at various camps.

Glass/crystal salt bowls from the Green Zone, I spent a lot of time there and was able to do some scrounging during my travels. The national symbol is present on the front but not as vivid in this picture. Just thought they were interesting

post-114-0-20428600-1404261751.jpg

Khukuri knife from the Ghurkas that were providing some of the security in the Green Zone.

post-114-0-48890200-1404262026.jpgpost-114-0-99515400-1404262105.jpg

A couple rosters/posters liberated from a blown out office in Taji. Working through the building, found these posted on the wall in what I believe was an office, took them as carefully as I could. Looked like unit rosters or staff in the office, maybe chain of command....don't know. I framed them, about 40" x 30" or so. Have not had them translated, but I did like the torn off picture of Saddam.

post-114-0-72759800-1404262287.jpgpost-114-0-54453200-1404262291.jpg

Last for now is a portion of a pot or bowl found in the ancient city of Ur, birthplace of Abraham.

post-114-0-26718700-1404262602.jpg

Last for now is a portion of a pot or bowl found in the ancient city of Ur, birthplace of Abraham

Sal,

I know you're old, but did you really pick that piece of pot or bowl up when you were there to witness the birth of Abraham? :blink:

Show them your Iraqi chair!

Allan

Absolutely, I thought for sure some bolt of lightning was coming down on me soon or that I was going to fall off the Ziggurat as some sort of punishment

I have to dig the chair out, problem is that my friend never sent me the bottom seat portion so I only have a chair back from one of the palaces. Story goes, I had some plastic lawn type chair we found, and was inspecting some of the contracted services provided by an Iraqi company. One of the guys was sitting on the very ornate gilded chair making his lunch, I started talking to him and telling him how beautiful the chair was. He said "here, take it, I don't like it, too many bad memories of the regime. I like your chair." He wanted to trade the nice chair for the plastic chair and was insistent so, not wanting to offend, I traded. Had to take the chair apart to mail it in hopes to reconstruct it back here....needless to say, I got moved from the Green Zone and trusted a friend to box up a table and the bottom of the chair and send it....needless to say, he never mailed the seat portion so all I have is the chair back. I'll post a pic later when I dig it out.

post-114-0-06250800-1404334942.jpg

Beautiful portion of a small marble column that was the border of a small arched nave type inset in a wall in a blown out building in the Green Zone...I believe it was one near the palace that was hit by a Tomahawk, the portion not destroyed housed one of the fitness facilities.

post-114-0-19276200-1404335073.jpg

Couple paintings I grabbed that are now in my art collection. First is a copy of a classic Arab masterpiece while the second is an original by a former art professor at the University of Baghdad. There were 3 in the set and I was only able to get one of them sadly.

post-114-0-43075300-1404335204.jpgpost-114-0-51805500-1404335201.jpg

mattsmilitary

these are some amazing items

thanks for sharing

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Last for now is a portion of a pot or bowl found in the ancient city of Ur, birthplace of Abraham.

attachicon.gif100_1841.JPG

I thought that it was illegal to take artifacts found at archeological sites in Iraq, like Ur.

It's amazing how much "trash" is scattered all over the entire Ur site. You cannot walk the site without stepping on countless pieces.

I'm not saying it's legal vs. illegal but I have a piece somewhere too.

Mike

It's amazing how much "trash" is scattered all over the entire Ur site. You cannot walk the site without stepping on countless pieces.

I'm not saying it's legal vs. illegal but I have a piece somewhere too.

Mike

Yeah, I've been there too (took groups there for tours). Ancient pieces of "trash" are all over the place, especially in the area they think was a trash dump but it's all still artifacts that belong to the Iraqi people. Any find at any archeological site is still protected, as I understand it. I think it may even have been mentioned in one of the General Orders...

Yep, General Order Number 1 (from HQ, Multi-National Crops-Iraq), under #3 "Prohibited Activities": "i. Removing, possessing, selling, defacing, or destroying archeological artifacts or national treasures."

Of course, archeological artifacts are different than war trophies. Under GO#1 war souvenirs which are approved and authorized include: "helmets and head coverings; bayonets; uniforms and uniform items such as insignia and patches; canteens; compasses; rucksacks; pouches; load bearing equipment; flags; military training manuals; books and pamphlets; posters; placards; photographs; or other items that clearly pose no health or safety risk and are not otherwise prohibited by law or regulation.

Don't get me wrong, I was tempted when visiting Ur...very tempted! But I satisfied myself with pictures of what I found, and what I could buy legally.