"Earless" 104th ID Timber Wolf

36-tex

To me, this patch looks unfinished rather than a true variation. It is probable that the inspector missed the lack of detail around the eye and the missing ear and just let the patch go since there weren't any bare spots showing the base material.

I think we could call this one the "First Sergeant" variation. You know, they guy who was always saying "I don't want to hear it!" :lol:

Allan

Interesting. An error maybe? I will have to check for that in the future. Thanks for the heads-up Mark.

-Ski

Old Marine

I have to go check mine. I am curious to see if anyone else comes up with one so we can figure out if it's a variation or a one off mistake.

Knock off them 1SG jokes, we had to listen to everyone, including your mother, of course we took care of you....Neat variation or error patch none the less and one more to be looking for.

Hey First Sergeant! Good Morning! (We do more before nine o'clock in the morning than most people do all day).

Allan

WorldWarPatches

Unfinished or not it a keen observation and I like it, unfinished patches are in big demand, As Bill about his 69th that sold a few days ago.... :o

post-28488-0-60099400-1405088242.jpgLet me beat Allen to the punch line for this one - it is known as the "granny" variation since she did not have any teeth either

Unfinished or not it a keen observation and I like it, unfinished patches are in big demand, As Bill about his 69th that sold a few days ago.... :o

Since when were errors/ unfinished patches considered rare and sought after variations? I recall distinctly several discussions about how errors were broken patches and that they don't carry any real value. Now they are somehow worth more? Funny how things change when one person overpays for an error......

-Ski

I do not consider this patch in the OP to be an "unfinished" piece. Is it an "error"? Again I would reply with a resounding NO! "Variations" will bring decent money, but I am with Ski that "unfinished" patches SHOULD NOT bring any money IMHO. I see people getting all excited about "unfinished" patches because they view them as "variations". That IMHO is far from the truth of what they are. To each their own as they collect, but I avoid and get depressed when I see "unfinished" patches. Some "error" patches will bring decent money, but again they need to be complete. Details missing can be called an "error", however I consider those to generally be "variations" as they are complete. Different makers sometimes had slight variations to their products.